What better way to show off how versatile Mccain French Fries are than cooking a super delicious meal! When given the option of several recipes to choose from, there was only one choice I could make. Southern Fried Chicken, with salad and French Fries. The lovely people at McCain shipped the ingredients to me and all I had to do was cook the meal… easier said than done! On another note, French Fries also work perfectly with Sirloin steak 😛
The recipe was very simple to follow and I actually enjoyed making the meal – I am a sucker for chicken drumsticks and wings so this was a really enjoyable meal. I would never have considered using Ryvita along with breadcrumbs… a fantastic idea as it added extra crunch to the chicken!
The recipe I used:
Southern spiced chicken with crunchy crumb and McCain French Fries
Preparation time: 25 mins
Cooking time: 40 mins
4 fresh chicken drumsticks, skinless
4 fresh chicken thighs, skinless
150g natural yoghurt
3tsp Cajun spices
50g fresh breadcrumbs
50g crispbread crumbs (multigrain crispbread whizzed into crumbs in the food processor)
480g McCain French Fries
1. Trim any excess skin from the chicken; make some deep slashes into each piece and place in a large dish together with the yoghurt. Chill in the fridge for 20 minutes.
2. Preheat the oven to 180oc, take a clean grill pan and line the bottom with foil.
3. Mix the two types of crumbs together with the spices in a bowl. Remove the chicken from the yoghurt, shaking off any excess liquid. Roll each piece in the crumbs to coat them evenly.
4. Roast in the oven for 20 minutes before increasing the heat to 220°C / Gas Mark 9 and adding a tray of McCain French Fries to the oven. Cook both for a further 15-20 minutes until cooked through and golden.
5. Serve with salad and coleslaw.
The Mccain French Fries worked an absolute treat with the chicken and were a great accompaniment and just as crunchy as the chicken. Dipped in coleslaw the fries were super tasty, this was definitely a treat meal for me after finding my weight loss mojo again recently! The scales have started slowly creeping down again which is fantastic. It is wise to treat yourself every now and then when on a diet (or at least that is the motto I live by!) and what better treat than one of my favourite meals! The salad leaves and the coleslaw were great sides to have and made the meal summer friendly.