Home Lifestyle Sober For October – Support Booze Free Bloggers

Sober For October – Support Booze Free Bloggers

Those who know me, know that I like a drink, as demonstrated with the images below! I randomly came up with the bright idea of roping in some fellow bloggers to partake in Sober For October with me… not only for a good cause, but also as a kick start for losing weight and saving money for Christmas. (Plus my liver needed a slight rest from all the recent partying!) Derink So, albeit we are now on the 3rd October, not a drop of liquor has passed my lips since Thursday 26th September… almost a week and I am on a roll!

I am feeling much better in myself, my skin looks awesome due to all the water I am drinking and I am sure my bank balance is feeling slightly happier too! Sober For October is all in aid of a very good cause… supporting Macmillan Cancer Support – by us all taking part in Go Sober, we will be helping Macmillan in providing practical, medical and financial support and push for better cancer care.

Having seen my Mum overcome cancer twice and my beloved Grandad succumb to the bastard disease I have always wanted to give something back. I am not a runner, by any stretch of the imagination, I cannot run 5 paces let alone 5k – so for me, giving up the amber nectar for a month to me feels like I am running my own marathon.

But fear not… there are plenty of parties organised come the 1st November to make up for lost time… not that I condone binge drinking at all *shakes head* So why not check out our Booze Free Bloggers Team and DIG DEEP!!!! Myself, Heather, Karen, Becky and Cass are all doing this for a very good cause and could really do with your support. We have all given up something we really like (or in my case love!) and every penny helps a very good charity… please be generous and wish us well!

Shout-Wine

Colette October 4, 2013 - 2:08 pm

I’ve never been much of a drinker, more so since having had a the kids – I don’t really suit being drunk and resent how much it costs – so the idea of a month sober doesn’t seem so challenging. However if you asked me to go a month without chocolate or fizzy pop . . .
Good luck, I hope your month goes well!

S1m October 4, 2013 - 2:41 pm

See I would much rather drink than eat! Definitely going to be a very long month 😛 x

Erin Rush October 4, 2013 - 4:40 pm

Good for you! I’ve just had 2 kids in the last 2.5 years so I’m used to giving up my wine but I would like to try giving up sugar for a month as I am already starting to want winter comfort food. Will I though? Probably not 🙂

S1m October 4, 2013 - 4:54 pm

Sugar is something entirely different… I could never give it up in any way shape or form… my cuppa’s wouldn’t taste the same for a start 😛 x

Kate October 4, 2013 - 8:46 pm

What a fab thing to do!! Well done, not sure I could give up my wine. Or run any distance although I did say I’d try. Maybe I’ll just go jump out of a plane again!!! 😉

S1m October 4, 2013 - 11:44 pm

LOL! See jumping out of a plane is something I could never do… flying definitely is though! So far so good 🙂

Kerrie McGiveron October 4, 2013 - 10:09 pm

Wow – this would be a MASSIVE challenge for me. I am a bit of a lush, I don’t mind admitting. A glass of wine or two helps me unwind and I love it. Having said that I did manage to abstain when I was pregnant x 3, so I can do it.
Anyway, good luck! It is a great cause and I am sure you will feel a lot better and more energised from a month off. x 😉

S1m October 4, 2013 - 11:45 pm

I am already feeling much better, less bloated and my skin is much better due to all the water I am drinking – have a slight addiction to hot Vimto though 😛

susan October 5, 2013 - 10:06 am

What a great thing to do! I would find this difficult as I love a glass of wine. Good on you for supporting such great cause.

Catherine @frmlittlethings October 5, 2013 - 9:18 pm

Good luck!

mummymakescakes October 6, 2013 - 1:56 pm

My cousin recently died from cancer as it was only discovered at a very late stage. Well done for doing this, it’s a great charity.

Lose A Stone For Christmas - Weight Loss Sunday! : Sim's Life October 6, 2013 - 6:51 pm

[…] Well this week, with a combination of everything I have lost 2lbs. Not too great, but not too shabby either, especially considering I have not been entirely healthy with my eating habits. Lunch out with my lovely matey after a Friday swimming, jacuzzi and sauna session would no doubt have overshadowed our good work in the gym. Though at least we didn’t have any drink and both continued on our Go Sober journey. […]

Alison Rothwell October 6, 2013 - 7:03 pm

Well done 🙂
There’s some research I think that if you do something for more than 21 days it becomes a habit you don’t want to break – do you think you’ll carry on after your month?

S1m October 6, 2013 - 7:18 pm

I really hope not!! There is a very big fancy dress party organised for the 1st November – weirdly you aren’t the first person to ask me this weekend if I will give up drinking full stop… the answer is a a definite no!! 😛 x

Jen @mymummyspennies October 6, 2013 - 7:56 pm

Go Sim!! 🙂 It a great campaign and a fab cause, well done you!!

Heather October 9, 2013 - 9:05 am

go us! woohoo! I’m actually feeling a lot better for it and not missing the drink yet. But it is only the 9th of the month and I have to go and visit my mother at the end of the month. Yikes.

Do Your Vices Affect Your Health? : Sim's Life October 23, 2013 - 11:59 pm

[…] say I shout it from the roof tops and generally only smoke in front of people I truly know. Since giving up drinking for Sober For October, I have noticed that I have cut down slightly due. As a social smoker it’s habit to have one […]