Home Post Female Only Car Showrooms – What Are Your Thoughts?

Female Only Car Showrooms – What Are Your Thoughts?

I have been looking into a new car recently, which is a tad bittersweet.

My car is absolutely awesome, super quick and I love her to bits, but she guzzles petrol like I guzzle beer and something slightly more economical is definitely required!

I walked into our local Citroen dealership and could not have felt more out of place. Weird, considering how much I love cars and know about them. Did any sales person approach me to see if I needed any help? No they did not… about the only time they never have!

One would have assumed someone who was taking an interest in the cars and reading the information would have looked serious enough about finding out further information, clearly not and it can only be put down to one thing… I am a woman… what would I know about a car? Wrong dudes in the crisp white shirts… I probably know more about what goes on under the hood than you do.

This really got my back up and I walked out with my head held high, whilst giving and evil stare and proceeded to slide back into my Jaguar and zoom off in a cloud of dust.

This really shouldn’t be the case though should it? Did they not want my money?!

ge5446208020731677787

So, imagine my surprise when I recently read that Nissan are opening 300 ‘Ladies First’ dealerships – only in Japan currently, which is fortunate actually. The concept is to make the whole car purchasing experience easier and nicer for women, as they peruse cars in an environment looked after exclusively by female staff. Wouldn’t it make negotiating slightly harder though?! 😉

When women are in the driving seat when it comes to making purchases, is this really necessary? Will it not just make the whole male/female divide even worse? All I want is a new car, I know what I want, engine size, colour etc – I just want a car showroom to take me seriously… at the same time as taking my money!!

This is a collaborative post.

Heather June 27, 2014 - 11:42 am

Yay, now women can buys cars too! *rolls eyes*

S1m June 27, 2014 - 1:09 pm

Tell me about it!! Woo hoo!! Thanks Nissan for liberating us 😉

Beth June 27, 2014 - 11:01 pm

It’s a great idea in theory… but a woman can’t really flutter her eyelashes and bargain with other women, can she?

Ok, so that’s a little unfeminist of me… but seriously I don’t think I need a female only car showroom…

S1m June 28, 2014 - 12:15 pm

No, it is shocking really and would just make the ‘hidden’ but well known divide even greater!

Mary Keynko June 28, 2014 - 2:13 pm

I don’t want to shop in a girls only showroom – it’s just patronising!
I just want men in the motor trade to stop behaving like arseholes!

Michelle twin mum June 28, 2014 - 9:45 pm

I’m the car buyer in our house too, crazy though how they expect it to be a man! Mich x

Pinkoddy June 28, 2014 - 10:43 pm

That is just disgusting – the way they treated you and the whole concept of a female showroom. I have to say that I don’t really know much about cars but that’s not because I am a woman it’s because I have no interest in them. And yes possibly could be seen as sexist but I take my husband with me to buy a car, not because he’s a man but because he knows about cars. As I don’t I wouldn’t go on my own anyway.

Boo Roo and Tigger Too June 29, 2014 - 7:44 am

I know more about cars than Mr Boo, in fact I’m the one who chooses the car, maintains it and has to deal with all the idiots whom assume I don’t know how to even pop the bonnet.

Otilia June 29, 2014 - 9:00 pm

not a driver…cars…men…whatever…

S1m June 30, 2014 - 3:50 pm

I think you summed it up with men… MEN!!! Arrrrgh – twunts… the lot of them, except my dad!!

Katy Hill June 29, 2014 - 9:12 pm

I don’t want a showroom for me – I want there to be ONE showroom for all, where everyone gets treated the same! LOVE the smell of car showrooms! And now I’ve overshared! 😉 x

S1m June 30, 2014 - 3:50 pm

Totally get you on the smell… proper new car smell. Though yes – why should there be female only showrooms – not the greatest idea Nissan have ever had!

Penny Carr June 29, 2014 - 10:37 pm

Car dealerships just drive me bonkers. Even when I’ve gone there with my husband so many of them just don’t seem at all interested in actually selling cars. I’m sorry to say that I class the people who work there on about the same level as estate agents! Both businesses should be overhauled.

S1m June 30, 2014 - 3:49 pm

Absolutely – they have no idea about the cars they are selling at all – glorified estate agents as you say!! Definitely gets my back up!