Home Dating Manscaping – What’s It All About, Alfie?

Manscaping – What’s It All About, Alfie?

As if dating was not already hard enough…

Dating, for a single mum in her 30’s is no easy task, even though the whole process could not be easier these days. Free online dating sites are springing up daily and a lady can quite happily flip through pictures as if she were flipping through an Argos catalogue at Christmas.

Organising a date is one thing, but pre-date preparations are another… what to wear, what shoes will match the outfit, which accessories to adorn said outfit and more importantly, grooming.

It’s not very becoming to rock up to a date with arm pit hair and leg hair on show, unless you have arranged a date with Swampy. For me, getting ready for a date means purchasing a new pack of razors, spending an hour soaking in the bath and straightening my hair to within an inch of its life.

razor

How would you feel then, if your date told you they had gone one step further and purchased hair removal cream? On first thought, you may think this is a joke… it wasn’t and actually was a reality recently.

Cue Rick the postie* (details changed for the sake of this post), a typical man’s man, cocky, sure of himself, out to impress (bork!) and weirdly a guy who took ‘manscaping’ to a whole new level.

Now don’t get me wrong, I always appreciate a guy who maintains down there, I am sure all ladies will agree it makes it a little more pleasant for us all when there is a task or two at hand… but hair removal cream? Down there? Surely a trim, even in topiary style, if that is your thing… but as smooth as a baby’s bottom?!

A multitude of questions were running through my mind… ‘Exactly how hairy is he that he needs to be brutal down there?’, ‘How flexible is the guy?’, ‘He is pre-empting how this drink is going to go isn’t he?’.

In fact, I was so taken back, my only response was ‘Watch out, it may burn your bottom’… it inevitably did and now every time I see Rick the postie, that thought will always amuse me and embarrass him.

So, have men taken this manscaping trend a little too far? Does a man expect women to find the male Brazilian sexy? Surely dating is supposed to be easier the older you are, not harder?

Has the quest for impressing someone reached levels that are too offbeat and will they actually be maintained? *scoff*

As yet, I have no idea but you can bet your sweet ass I am going to have fun finding out! πŸ˜‰

* I didn’t actually change the details that much.

Note From Lapland August 21, 2014 - 10:21 am

bwah ha ha ha. I happened across a man recently that did this too. I’ll tell you what’s less attractive – the 3 day later stubble! Jesus.

S1m August 21, 2014 - 10:26 am

Oh yes… what makes it even funnier is that you too will run into the person featured in this post… remember not to laugh too much πŸ˜‰

Helen Actually... August 21, 2014 - 11:17 am

Oh no! Cleanliness yes, but hair removal???? Nononononono!

S1m August 21, 2014 - 6:20 pm

Ha ha!! I am all for a little trimming down there to make it all neat, but total hair removal is a tad weird on a bloke… he was such a manly man too, I never expected it!

Joanne August 21, 2014 - 12:03 pm

O.M.G. Why? Why would you want to subject yourself to it?
But what we really want to know is…..were his efforts wasted? πŸ˜‰

S1m August 21, 2014 - 6:19 pm

I have no idea… thing is… he seemed so PROUD of the fact and to him it seemed so natural!
Erm… no comment πŸ˜‰

Sonya Cisco August 21, 2014 - 1:27 pm

Ooh yes, I know someone who tried that too, they didn’t try it a second time!!

S1m August 21, 2014 - 6:18 pm

Ha ha… thing is… I don’t actually think this WAS his first time at using hair removal cream usage πŸ˜‰

Amanda August 22, 2014 - 7:51 am

See I’d worry it was to make them appear more *ahem* well endowed than they were.

Otilia August 22, 2014 - 12:49 pm

Oh man. i couldn’t go through all this too much to think of.

Cass@frugalfamily August 22, 2014 - 5:37 pm

Ha ha this reminds me of my husband who decided years ago one day in the bath to just shave hit all off on a whim – apart from the fact it looked just plain weird he spent the next week scratching like he had nits down there are it grew back.

Needless to say that was his first and only brazilian!

(so pleased he can’t see I’m sharing this story with you)

S1m August 22, 2014 - 6:22 pm

Ha ha ha… thanks for that chuckle Cass, I needed it πŸ™‚

You would assume men were aware that re-growth would mean a little bit of an itch… what got me was the fact Rick was so brazen about his purchase and the fact he had used it. Leading me to believe it wasn’t his first time… gives mowing the back lawn a whole new meaning! πŸ˜‰

Michelle Twin Mum August 23, 2014 - 12:16 am

Well I never, not my cup of tea but loved reading all the comments! Mich x

S1m August 23, 2014 - 4:13 pm

Ha ha… strangely, not my cup of tea either!! πŸ˜‰ x

What Would I Do Without The Internet... and Dating? : Sim's Life August 28, 2014 - 7:41 pm

[…] soul destroying, yet highly entertaining all at the same time. After recently going on an ‘organic date‘, meeting the guy on a night out, I have realised the benefits of both online and offline […]

J W December 26, 2014 - 8:02 pm

Well, that was a rookie mistake.
A good lady razor all the way.
And aftercare… Bit of light exfoliating, and moisturiser.

S1m December 28, 2014 - 4:47 pm

Indeed… however it does mean we are totally justified in laughing at him everytime we see him. Did notice he was wincing a little when he ran up our close the other week… nothing at all to do with the fact I had sworn at him for leaving my parcel in the bin! πŸ˜‰