Home Post Schhhhhtop! Don’t Send That Selfie!

Schhhhhtop! Don’t Send That Selfie!

Love them or loathe them, there is no denying that selfies, don’t half capture the moment!

IMG_20140926_104733_resized

I am pretty sure between mine and Heather’s phone galleries we could play Top Trumps with certain parts of the male anatomy all day long! It is quite amusing, especially after a few drinks, to flick through pictures, or even capture a few selfies and send them onwards.

Having fun with your mates, adding a filter via Instagram and then updating your Facebook profile picture is one thing, but anything slightly dodgy and you are definitely playing in dangerous territory.

It is so easy for us to ‘share’ things these days, H and I do it all the time with funny images, links to dating profiles we like or find particularly weird… it also seems that men do this with their friends just as much as women do!

If you are sharing someone’s ugly mug or ‘arm’ around your friends on Whatsapp… someone could easily be doing the same with your image! I feel like this post should come with a warning like those ‘Think… Don’t Drink and Drive’ posters… how about ‘Schhhhhtop! Don’t Send That Selfie!’

You DON'T want to know what I was doing to Sir Tom!

You DON’T want to know what I was doing to Sir Tom!

What gets me is… we are in our 30’s… most of the men sending us rather questionable selfies are also in their 30’s and upwards… at what age do we all decide we prefer to unwrap gifts as opposed to seeing everything in all its glory before we have even met someone?

Thinking about it logically though… what may seem harmless and funny after a few bevvies, could turn into a nightmare when a child happens upon a phone gallery! Or worse still, what if your child thinks it is totally acceptable to send ‘those’ types of selfies?

This whole celeb selfie hacking ‘thing’ recently, certainly made people more aware of what could happen. I expect the parents of some of those celebs are as mortified that the celeb took them, more so than the fact they were leaked!

After the scandal, My Voucher Codes looked into the effects of social media and technology on young people. They surveyed 18-24 year olds and parents to see how many young people have sent a nude photo and if parents believed their children would or have sent one, with shocking results showing that sometimes parents may not know what’s going on with their kids’ online lives as well as they think. The Selfie survey was even featured in the Daily Mail, along with their take!

Personally, I am pretty sure my mum will assume I have sent an arty image of my elbow crease and passed it off as my butt… because I have and that is me, the eternal rebel! However, knowing what I know now… Liv is not having a phone with a camera until she is 40!

Annie @ Folklings September 29, 2014 - 10:20 am

I love selfies – of other people that is! Though seeing my teens selfies make me cringe big time!

S1m September 29, 2014 - 11:14 am

That’s the thing… I am a selfie addict, so I can only assume L will be the same. Though will have to drum into her that she doesn’t need to send questionable images… nor receive them… as they can really offend your eyes! 😉

Stacey Corrin September 29, 2014 - 10:21 am

God that’s scary! It’s such a difficult thing to keep tabs on though, don’t you think? My children aren’t at the age yet where I need to worry so much however it won’t be long before we have to sit down and have that talk. Think I’m probably in your camp with the “no phone until 40” idea!

S1m September 29, 2014 - 11:18 am

Very scary indeed! It always seems ok for us to take images, but taking into consideration our kids may do the same is quite worrying 🙁 Phones will be banned!

Liz Burton September 29, 2014 - 12:40 pm

Hey! Nobody sends me questionable images!

I feel left out now.

S1m September 29, 2014 - 1:23 pm

Ha ha – admittedly, it does liven Top Trumps up. A game for a few drinks! 😉

Pinkoddy September 29, 2014 - 1:00 pm

When the scandal broke I did wonder why they were available to be hacked tbh.

S1m September 29, 2014 - 1:25 pm

Indeed, unfortunately one pic sent can easily be sent to many other people – it’s a vicious picture tree 🙁

Cass@frugalfamily September 29, 2014 - 6:05 pm

I’ve had a chat with my 12 year old to make sure she’s fully aware of this as she’s selfie mad! 😉

HPMcQ September 29, 2014 - 8:05 pm

i’m dreading the day i hand over a mobile to rooster. it might have to be one of my old nokia’s! ha ha ha

Emma September 29, 2014 - 8:52 pm

Oh my Chloe and her friends are selfie queens.. Serioulsy noone can compete with a bunch of 14 yr old girls!