Home Couch to 5K Week 2: Couch to 5K Progress Update

Week 2: Couch to 5K Progress Update

Running #WeightLossWednesday

Despite warnings from several people to take it easy on my knee, two weeks ago, I trudged back to the gym to attempt to run again… my knee was not having any of it and start to hurt even more. Damn it! I was such a grumpy moo… all I wanted to do was get back on it!

With the help of my rather awesome HoMedics Shiatsu Massager, special gel and lots of tablets, I was finally able to summon up the courage to attempt again last week. It worked!!!! I was back running and felt fantastic again. The scales were working in my favour, my knee was holding out and I was feeling optimistic to start back again this week.

I have just returned from the gym now, still slightly red of face – but I have managed another 30 minutes! Even with increasing my walking and running speed by .2! This may have had something to do with being surrounded by good looking men today… and some stick insect who carried on running… the uber competitive Sim broke free and carried on running!

20141001_101102_resized

Recently I was sent an awesome pair of Yurbuds Inspire Women Earphones to help me on my running journey. Not only are they a funky purple colour (my favourite colour), but they also stay in my ears without having to rearrange them constantly. This is down to the very comfortable, TwistLock Technology and FlexSoft Comfort Fit guarantee the sweat-proof-in-the-ear sport earphones will never hurt or fall out of your ears. I love them – the range of earphones is great, I would happily recommend these to fellow runners! In fact, the Talk For Women Yurbuds have just ranked Gold in the Women’s Running Magazine!

Yurbuds

I am going to attempt to fit in another 2 runs this week and work up to the 2nd week of Couch to 5K now that my knee has healed. Hopefully I will start to notice a difference in the scales, my fitness and how well clothes fit very soon if I keep to running 3 times a week… here is to Wednesday! πŸ™‚

Emma October 6, 2014 - 1:46 pm

yay good on you. I have been running again but was a bit too windy for me today so i came home and drank coffee instead! I run holding my phone becuase earphones fall out and I do like to music to run with.

S1m October 7, 2014 - 9:58 am

Have a look into the Yurbuds, honestly – they do not move!! You are also very brave running outside, especially in this weather – inside on the treadmill all the way for me! πŸ™‚ x

Manneskjur October 6, 2014 - 2:23 pm

I am about to start week 4 of this myself and though I haven’t lost weight my clothes feel baggier and I’m down a size in jeans *yay*
I have found the Ministry of Sound Running Trax series on my iphone help a LOT!

S1m October 7, 2014 - 9:58 am

I have a feeling my scales are going down due to the fact I am now drinking more water, as opposed to seeing an immediate running reaction. I am a sucker for a can of pop so the water is definitely helping! Ahhhh good luck with week 4… eik – getting closer to the big 5k!! πŸ™‚ x

Donna @ Little Lilypad Co October 6, 2014 - 4:24 pm

I started running again this year but a problem with my hip slowed me down. I now have a swollen knee. I think I may just need to keep reading your blogs and turn it into a spectator sport! I am clearly not cut out for running!

I look forward to hearing more about how you get on x

S1m October 7, 2014 - 9:56 am

Oh no Donna, hope you are feeling ok now, besides the knee, rest up when you can! My right hip was definitely giving me jip immediately after the run yesterday but I put that down to the fact I had not warmed up enough and pushed myself a little further – tomorrow will be the deal breaker for sure!x

Kang October 6, 2014 - 7:02 pm

Go easy on the knee…I haven’t read your previous posts yet but you should really rest it if it plays up. At least foam roll if you’ve got the chance to.
Good luck with the weight loss, it’s all about the diet really…Will try to keep up with your blog.

S1m October 7, 2014 - 9:55 am

Thanks Kang… all seems to be ok with the left knee but now the right knee is a little tender so will go easy today, back on it tomorrow. Unfortunately the amber nectar is something I cannot give up so the gym counter acts that!

Emma October 6, 2014 - 7:24 pm

I still need to start running….you’re doing brilliantly though. xx

S1m October 7, 2014 - 9:53 am

Thank you lovely! I am feeling great for it, something I never thought I would do and I am actually enjoying it! πŸ™‚ x

Mum of One October 6, 2014 - 8:23 pm

I have always had MAJOR headphone issues in the gym. I need to check these out. Good luck with the running. I wish I had more motivation.

S1m October 7, 2014 - 9:53 am

As do I! I used my actual phone headphones but they would always slip out – I have not had to touch the Yurbuds once whilst they have been in my ears, definitely check them out – perfect for people on the move!

Pinkoddy October 6, 2014 - 10:34 pm

Best of luck with it all. I do think music really helps encourage running.

S1m October 7, 2014 - 9:52 am

Thanks lovely! Absolutely! It helps that I can pound away to the music whilst watching the football too… my idea of heaven πŸ™‚ x

Otilia October 7, 2014 - 6:25 am

Oh well done you. I am looking forward to the day when i can run again.

S1m October 7, 2014 - 9:51 am

You will be back there soon enough chick! Hope you are ok x

Becky October 7, 2014 - 6:42 am

Ah well done you glad you are back on track

S1m October 7, 2014 - 9:51 am

Thank you! I am very chuffed indeed, seemed to take too long for my liking!x

Sonya Cisco October 7, 2014 - 9:09 am

My Dad was a qualified shiatsu therapost- until he got poorly and didnt have enough energy- it was fab having him on hand for treatments back in the day! If I was to run (and thats a big if for I am utterly lazy!) I would definitely need music, I loved Caitlin Morans description of running as a travelling disco. (or something like that!)

S1m October 7, 2014 - 9:50 am

The music definitely spurs me on, currently a mixture of the Foo Fighters, Kaiser Chiefs… even some David Bowie and Roxette… am attempting to load all my CD’s onto my computer to expand my running music but it takes time!

Christmas: Health & Fitness Gift Ideas - Sim's Life November 3, 2014 - 12:02 pm

[…] No matter how much I sweat and move about at the gym, these earphones have yet to budge from my ears. When are you concentrating on a run, the last thing you want to worry about and mess with is earphones that keep popping out of your ears. Yurbuds have a comfortable, silicone ear bud that fits perfectly in your ear. Prices range from Β£16.99 upwards, depending on which design you choose on the Yurbuds site. Check them out in action here. […]