Home Couch to 5K Week 3: Couch to 5K Progress Update

Week 3: Couch to 5K Progress Update

Running #WeightLossWednesday

Week 3 baby!

I have made it to Week 3 of the Couch to 5K challenge… I think this deserves a pint!

Last week I only made it to the gym twice due to a cold, but it spurred me on even more. I noticed that my legs were labouring and my knees were aching slightly at the jogging speed of 7.5 I was running at on the treadmill. I braved increasing the speed to 8.5 and it really did help a lot, so I now seem to have found my perfect running speed… I am running more than jogging now which is awesome.

The scales don’t seem to be moving this week, even though I have been reasonably good with eating and have drunk even more pints of water. Even my alcohol has decreased!

However, despite this, my body does seem to be tighter – my legs especially with my calves appearing more toned. Even my belly seems to be tighter… this maybe down to the fact I am drinking more water. I love my chilled bottled water and I am easily going through 2 pints at the gym alone!

I may have enjoyed a pint... would be rude not to! ;)

I may have enjoyed a pint… would be rude not to! πŸ˜‰

I managed to survive the step up to the 5 minute walking warm up, running for 90 seconds, walking for 90 seconds, running for 3 minutes, walking for 3 minutes (this routine twice) and then a further 5 minute cool down before stumbling off the treadmill and hitting the weights. I am finding it easier than expected, but boy do I know I have been running. The thought of jogging for 2 miles in just another 2 weeks is scaring me slightly… I just do not feel that I will be able to do it!

I have added some awesome tunes to my phone over the weekend, tunes that are definitely getting me pumped up, so hopefully they will keep me going and motivated… even if I am sweating buckets! Good job there were no fitties in the gym today! πŸ˜‰

Becky October 21, 2014 - 5:34 am

Go you…! You will definately be able to do you are so determind. Am watching this space…

S1m October 21, 2014 - 10:34 am

Thanks lovely! It is certainly making me feel good… just looks like a very steep climb even from week 3!!

Cass@frugalfamily October 21, 2014 - 6:48 pm

You’re making 100 times more progress than I am – I’m just trying to increase my daily step count at the minute x x

S1m October 21, 2014 - 7:35 pm

I’ve never even considered my daily step count but I try and do something every day whether it be the gym or going on the bike – which is tonight’s chore… I mean activity!! πŸ˜‰

Emma October 21, 2014 - 7:54 pm

I so need to start this….you are doing so well….i love the beer pic πŸ™‚

Lulastic October 22, 2014 - 12:04 am

You are my HERO! Can’t run to save my life, can’t even imagine an attempt like this πŸ™‚

S1m October 22, 2014 - 2:14 pm

I was exactly the same! Never thought I would be able to do it but I am doing, I am terrible for watching the time though and am sure I would find it much easier if I just kept running… bring on Friday! πŸ™‚ x

Katy Hill October 22, 2014 - 12:58 pm

Haha! Loved your “fitties” comment! I did catch sight of myself after my class at the gym on Monday and wished I hadn’t! Keep up the good work! I’m at the start of a MAJOR fitness overhaul. Great time of year to do it. Think how great we’ll feel in the spring! x

S1m October 22, 2014 - 1:56 pm

At the moment I am taking it week by week – I know I will pig out over Christmas – but if I can keep this up, by Spring I am hoping I wont’t be as hip-pish! πŸ˜‰ It’s all about the bass!
I wouldn’t mind, there were two fitties in today… well chuffed… bring on Friday! I am certainly more motivated that ever before, just never realised I would enjoy running as much!xx

Anya from Older Single Mum and The Healer October 22, 2014 - 2:37 pm

Brilliant news! Your body will look like a runner’s body soon! Hope you enjoy it as well as your very well deserved pint!

S1m October 23, 2014 - 11:09 am

I damn well hope so, that’s the reason I am doing this… it isn’t for fun I assure you. All this movement has to work and shift the ass!!xx

Michelle Twin Mum October 22, 2014 - 2:52 pm

wow 8.5 on the jogging machine, that is hardcore, I only manage a fast walk! Mich x

S1m October 23, 2014 - 11:08 am

There was a titch on it the other day running at 12. Her phone flew off and hit a machine behind us, I had to conceal my chuckling!! I just need to sustain it and keep going, all seems to be ok at the moment πŸ™‚ xx

Liz Burton October 22, 2014 - 4:42 pm

Loving the PMA! Very impressed. Will you go to the gym for me please?

S1m October 23, 2014 - 11:07 am

Trust me, if I can do it, anyone can do it! Can’t believe it has taken me this long to get into it – I have certainly been converted to enjoying running now! πŸ™‚ xx

Emma October 22, 2014 - 6:41 pm

That’s amazing. Well done! I am into drinking chilled water at the moment too. Sadly without the same amount of exercise as you are doing, I doubt it will have much effect! πŸ˜€ x

S1m October 23, 2014 - 11:06 am

Thanks chick! You would be surprised – water does wonders for you and it helps the skin’s elasticity too πŸ™‚ xx

Otilia October 22, 2014 - 7:46 pm

Well done! Can you give me your strength?

S1m October 23, 2014 - 11:05 am

Thanks chick! Unfortunately not, I need it for tomorrow and then for next week too! πŸ˜‰ xx

Emma October 22, 2014 - 8:21 pm

Go you, I;m back up to 3K but need to up it to five!

S1m October 23, 2014 - 11:04 am

Even 3k seems so far away at the moment πŸ™ but well done you chick!! Sounds like we may all be running the marathon next year!

Carolin October 23, 2014 - 4:35 pm

Well done, you’re doing great. I can’t even run after the bus…

S1m October 25, 2014 - 4:41 pm

I was always like that too but am certainly getting into it and enjoying it! πŸ™‚ x

Pinkoddy October 23, 2014 - 8:46 pm

Oh very well done to you. I keep thinking about it – but that’s as far as I am getting really.
What tunes have you got?

S1m October 25, 2014 - 4:40 pm

Don’t just think, go and do it, you will not look back I promise you!!x

Camille October 26, 2014 - 3:30 am

Well done!!

Since I started running a lot of people have told me that sometimes you lose fat and gain muscle, which means no weight loss but still getting in better shape. πŸ™‚

S1m October 27, 2014 - 4:20 pm

Thanks Cami! Indeed it is true, but it can be a pain to get your head around as you feel nothing is helping – till you put your clothes on and feel they actually fit! I can definitely notice a slight difference in my butt… so something must be happening! Keep on with it running buddy! πŸ™‚ xx

Beth October 26, 2014 - 3:32 pm

You make me feel so lazy, Sim! Although I’m sure you will be kicking me up the backside before I know it.

S1m October 27, 2014 - 4:16 pm

You so know I will! Honestly join a gym – you will love it and it gives you a lot of peace and quiet! xx

phyliciamarie October 27, 2014 - 8:28 am

It’s a good thing you didn’t push to workout when you got sick. Your body does need rest after all. You can always run next time.

S1m October 27, 2014 - 4:15 pm

I couldn’t even breathe through my nose so there was no way I was going to the gym! All better now and fighting fit again – amazed my knees are holding out!

John October 27, 2014 - 9:11 am

I’m pretty positive you’ll be able to achieve what you desire. You seem to be determined. Go for it.

S1m October 27, 2014 - 4:13 pm

Thanks John! The 5k seems a long way away at the moment but I am certainly building up to it each time I go to the gym! πŸ™‚

R U S S October 27, 2014 - 9:13 am

You go girl! I know it’s a lot of hard work and determination but you’re doing such a great job at it. May you inspire more people to do the same.

S1m October 27, 2014 - 4:12 pm

Thanks lovely! I hope so – would be great to know who else is doing the regime and how they are doing! πŸ™‚

Fernando Ceballos Lachica October 27, 2014 - 10:11 am

Your determination really gives my inner self to do the same. I think, it needs motivation on my part. Go on with your routine, I admire you.

S1m October 27, 2014 - 4:11 pm

Thank you so much! If you have the motivation behind you, you will definitely do it… it’s just finding that motivation in the first instance!

Fernando Ceballos Lachica October 27, 2014 - 10:15 am

You really determined to do this routine. I admire your motivation and hope I can do the same.

S1m October 27, 2014 - 4:09 pm

Thanks Fernando! I’ve realised that if I want to keep drinking then I need to do something… running is the new thing! πŸ™‚

Louise October 27, 2014 - 10:29 am

Good on you! Keep motivating yourself! It’s nice that you also blog to motivate others who might also be doing the same routines as you. πŸ™‚

xo,
Louise of The Legendary Ukayista | Bloglovin’

S1m October 27, 2014 - 4:08 pm

Thanks Louise! Exactly! I am hoping others will see if I can do it, they can too! It is much more enjoyable than I ever thought it would be!

Loudthinkin October 27, 2014 - 5:16 pm

I think you are doing awesome.. The pint is well deserved! Exercise, binge, repeat!

S1m October 27, 2014 - 10:58 pm

Ha ha ha! I like your style and that is exactly what I need to get me through this! Run in the morning, drink in the afternoon!x

Kang October 27, 2014 - 6:46 pm

Hey!! Well done on running! It’s better for your legs as your stride length and foot strike will save your knees and hips from the pain. Not to mention hamstring and glute activation etc….(sorry PT Geek speak)
Anyhow, keep it up.
Remember to strengthen the hamstring and the glutes, ask one of the trainers or any guy in the guy that takes your eye haha

S1m October 27, 2014 - 10:54 pm

Thank you Kang! I upped it a little yesterday and fast tracked to Week 4 and totally felt it later in the day. Need to definitely concentrate on everything a little more than just thinking it’s about moving my legs a little quicker!
I may definitely ask one of the good looking PT’s – they don’t seem to do anything but stand behind the desk looking like rejects from TOWIE! πŸ˜‰

Franc Ramon October 28, 2014 - 8:50 am

Good luck on your Couch to 5K. The next thing you’ll know is that you’re running 10Ks and Half Marathons.

Aisha Kristine Chong October 28, 2014 - 1:05 pm

Congrats to you! It seems everything is going well for your body and weight loss too.

S1m October 28, 2014 - 3:30 pm

Thanks lovely! So far, so good and my joints are still currently in tact… back on it tomorrow πŸ™‚ x

Aiza C. October 28, 2014 - 3:16 pm

Way to go!

My friend told me that running is a good way to lose stomach fat. I wish I could keep up with running, but I get bored running. I have to stick with dance fitness classes! But, I jog once in a while.

S1m October 28, 2014 - 3:29 pm

Not seeing the tummy fat drop off yet unfortunately πŸ™ guess it will just take time. Definitely noticing a difference with the old butt though so that is spurring me on! Dance Fitness classes sound cool!

Hazel Ann Lo October 28, 2014 - 3:46 pm

I am so jealous of you! Hmmm… I tried living healthy and exercising for a while but I feel off the horse easily. Hmmm… but your post has inspired me to try again! Thank you!

S1m October 28, 2014 - 3:50 pm

I always fall off the horse but am actually quite enjoying going for a run several times a week… whack my earphones in and I am in the zone! πŸ˜‰
Good luck with starting again! πŸ™‚

Tiffany Yong October 28, 2014 - 4:25 pm

Recording your progress is a great way to keep track, but remember to maintain and persevere even after your Couch to 5K Challenge!
Fitness is a lifestyle!

S1m October 29, 2014 - 1:47 pm

Very true – I will definitely be keeping it up and may even look into a couple of 5k races for next year πŸ™‚ x

Suzanne Rudge October 29, 2014 - 5:27 am

Congrats on making it this far, that is quite the accomplishment. Enjoy your well deserved pint!

S1m October 29, 2014 - 1:47 pm

A pint is always well deserved and much enjoyed, no worries about that one! πŸ™‚ x

Ericleen | ILoveNegros.com October 29, 2014 - 5:50 am

Great job Sim. I really agree that this activity requires a lot of determination and discipline. It’s really a pain in the start but at the end you’ll enjoy the pleasure of being healthy…. and we’re talking about more years of life.

S1m October 29, 2014 - 1:44 pm

I didn’t look at it as more years, just that I could still continue to drink and lose the belly, but very true! It is a pain but I am enjoying it! πŸ™‚ x

Jason Panuelos October 29, 2014 - 10:44 am

Congrats on the progress! It’s only normal that you pace yourself. I used to do this exact thing. Eventually you’ll be surprised you can run 2 kilometers on 11kph without stopping! πŸ˜€

S1m October 29, 2014 - 1:41 pm

I hope so! I upped to 9kph this morning to help my stride and seemed to be ok… roll on the next time! πŸ™‚ x

Eliz Frank October 29, 2014 - 1:59 pm

Good job! You are doing well and can only get better. That’s the gift of exercise; the more you do it, the better you get.

Fred October 29, 2014 - 5:15 pm

Amazing progress that’s really a testament to your will power! Sad to say I’m still on the couch, but you have encouraged me.

S1m October 29, 2014 - 8:54 pm

Thanks Fred!! πŸ™‚ Hey, don’t worry, I am back on the couch now… πŸ˜‰

Chelsi Bernaridno November 4, 2014 - 8:08 am

Nice one! You had a great progress. I think I also need to do that! πŸ™‚