Home Fitness Part 1: Running For Beginners – Tips From A Personal Trainer

Part 1: Running For Beginners – Tips From A Personal Trainer

West London Personal Training

Continuing with my fitness posts, I have the pleasure of introducing Kang, a London based Personal Trainer who has been following my running progress and has some handy tips for anyone starting out with a running programme. This is a two part guest post series. Check out Kang’s tips on how to prepare yourself for running, specially written for Sim’s Life here.

I remember when I first started running years back. I never ran as a way of keeping fit, it was always part of playing a sport or running away from my neighbours dog, you know the fun stuff.
One summer I decided that it would be a good idea to start jogging, so I went to my local park and started running around with no clue about technique or the right foot wear.

It was going well and I managed to increase the distance each day and I could feel my endurance improving, this was great until a few weeks in!
I started getting shin splints! If you don’t know what shin splints are then you’re in for a treat, I can only describe it as someone hitting you repeatedly with a small hammer underneath your shin.

It got so bad that I had ice it after the runs.

In hindsight, I was probably jogging far too frequently (is 5 days in a row too much?) my legs weren’t conditioned to take that kind of impact and my heel-toe foot strike didn’t help my poor shins.

Woe is me!

What did I do next?

I ended up resting it completely, when I say rest I mean stop running completely.

Fast forward years later, I eventually became a personal trainer and worked for a gym in Surrey.

Working in the gym with like-minded fitness people was awesome, three of my co-workers had completed marathons and one was competing at county level for their running club.
This was great because I had wealth of information from county level runners and experienced marathon runners.

We spoke in length about running and my experience with it but none of them could really give me any new insight about what to do with shin splints. I ended up looking it up myself and came to the conclusion that it was a mix of alignment issues, the type of shoes I was wearing and my running style.

Fast forward another year later, I completed my NASM (National Academy of Sports Medicine) Corrective Exercise Specialist certification and used this knowledge to help members of the gym with their alignment issues, working with runners, triathletes and other fitness junkies. Over the years I managed to fix my own shin splints to a certain degree, though to be honest I think they’ll always be there.

Fernando Ceballos Lachica November 12, 2014 - 3:23 pm

You have the determination to reach to this level in fitness. This article could inspire other as beginner.

S1m November 12, 2014 - 5:31 pm

I hope so! The 2nd part of the series has some great tips on exercises that are all simple and quick to do!

John November 12, 2014 - 3:28 pm

I don’t run and I’m not even a fan. But perhaps being in the gym may work well with me. Any tips for someone like me who plans to visit the gym anytime soon?

S1m November 12, 2014 - 5:30 pm

The tips are in the 2nd part to this guest post series from Kang at West London Personal Training… bless him he has gone into a lot of detail to make it easier for novices like myself to get to grips with the best techniques!

Loudthinkin November 12, 2014 - 4:48 pm

Admire the fact that following a set back you didn’t just give up running but went to the root cause of it and set on the correct course! Kudos!

S1m November 12, 2014 - 5:29 pm

Well as Kang is a Personal Trainer there was never any doubt he would find out the problem and solve it! 🙂

Bury Family Life November 12, 2014 - 5:49 pm

I love running, sadly have a striking injury and am having to find alternative ways of keeping the flab off. It’s cheering to hear you worked through your injury

S1m November 13, 2014 - 11:36 am

Aye, kudos to Kang for persevering!

hannah November 12, 2014 - 8:20 pm

I am unable to do running and contact sports due to my health but it is definitely an interesting read. well done on what you have achieved so far x

S1m November 13, 2014 - 11:35 am

Oh no Hannah, that is a shame 🙁 I never thought I would run or enjoy it, but I am these days. Everyone always recommends swimming, personally I get bored quite easily of swimming – unless it is up to a pool bar! 😉

dawn November 12, 2014 - 8:51 pm

Nice workout tips!!

dawn

S1m November 13, 2014 - 11:34 am

Thanks Dawn, there are some great tips from Kang – the best is in the 2nd part!x

Pinkoddy November 12, 2014 - 10:30 pm

That’s really interesting – I did not know that there was so much to running.

S1m November 13, 2014 - 11:32 am

Nor did I when I started!! Heather even lent me a book on Heart Rate! I just thought it was about moving your legs a little faster! 😉

phyliciamarie November 13, 2014 - 2:27 am

I’m looking forward to the part 2! This one is mostly about introduction, when I really want to know more techniques!

S1m November 13, 2014 - 11:30 am

More techniques to come for sure – Part 2 is awesome and goes into detail about finding the right trainers and exercises too!

Louise November 13, 2014 - 3:23 am

I never knew about shin splints! Thanks for introducing that to me. I also want to jog here in our subdivision/village however, I fear to get cramps. Thanks for reminding me too how a proper footwear would help me prevent the cramps.

I agree with the former comment, this post would eventually inspire beginners like me. 🙂

S1m November 13, 2014 - 11:30 am

Absolutely! I have only just started myself and have days where I can literally only run for a minute – other days I jump on and find it so much easier!

Tiffany Yong W.T. (tiffanyyongwt) November 13, 2014 - 8:32 am

I’m not sure if mine’s shin splints too, but I get pains in the knees whenever I try running or do Zumba for long hours. Maybe it’s the same thing!

S1m November 13, 2014 - 11:29 am

Could possibly be – something I need to look into but I definitely felt my sprained knee when I had it – was horrendous and knocked me out for weeks!

Boo Roo and Tigger Too November 13, 2014 - 10:08 am

Great advice, I really want to start jogging/running hopefully this will inspire me

S1m November 13, 2014 - 11:28 am

Definitely! Check out the 2nd part too which gives advice on choosing the right trainers to help you!

Raymond Vasquez November 13, 2014 - 2:29 pm

I have been a runner in my early childhood age, I competed in local athletic meets, but when I reached college I was unable to continue running.

But now that I am already working, I do run every now and then, incidentally, I am running with my colleagues in the profession for the “fun-run” event of our chapter.

It’s great to read posts like this before the scheduled run, gets you excited. Healthy tips are important… 😀

S1m November 14, 2014 - 7:55 am

Ohhhh good luck Raymond, I know it is a fun run, but I am sure everyone will still have a competitive streak in them… you go for it! 🙂 x

Franc Ramon November 13, 2014 - 3:55 pm

I had shin splints for most of the year. I had it treated two months ago and I’m back to running normal though I’m sure it can still be there again in the future.

S1m November 14, 2014 - 7:54 am

Oh no Franc, hope all went well and it’s good news you are back running again! 🙂 take it easy on yourself!x

Khushboo November 13, 2014 - 4:28 pm

These are some really great tips. Looking forward to the next post in the series. Thanks for sharing 😀

gillian November 14, 2014 - 2:04 am

never really heard of this condition as I’m not much of a fitness person. but the symptoms are closely to what i experience! 😮

S1m November 14, 2014 - 7:53 am

Absolutely hideous – who would have thought you could be in so much pain from fitness… not fair really!

Daphne Benosa November 14, 2014 - 3:14 am

Wow, I didn’t know about shin splints but it sounds really painful. I didn’t know it can happen. I thought when jogging you’ll just have to run slower. Now I know it doesn’t work that way.

S1m November 14, 2014 - 7:52 am

Totally doesn’t, there is much more to jogging/running than you could ever imagine! It definitely all starts with the right footwear!x

Fred November 14, 2014 - 9:24 am

That balancing exercise in the first photo looks hard to do! So your personal trainer is an Asian physical therapist, interesting to know.

S1m November 14, 2014 - 11:54 am

Unfortunately not my PT – there is about 200 miles between us, however I really do appreciate Kang’s advice which keeps me motivated!

Penny November 14, 2014 - 11:30 am

When I worked with a personal trainer she helped me to change bad running habits that were giving me knee problems. Running seems like the most natural/easy thing to do, but it can be so helpful to work with experts.

S1m November 14, 2014 - 11:52 am

Could not agree more! I had a session with my PT the other day and he has completely changed my program… hopefully it will work!

Eliz Frank November 14, 2014 - 11:46 am

I agree. It is important to know some basic techniques when running. I was an athlete in HS and continued running in College. I gave up running because I got bored with it and wanted to do other kinds of sports. You’ve raised some very good points that all beginners need to know.

S1m November 14, 2014 - 11:52 am

Thanks Eliz, Kang has included some great pointers to help beginners!

Sara November 14, 2014 - 2:16 pm

I really needed this! I’m trying to get fitter in time for the new year as I’m going backpacking, so thank you for the tips 🙂

Sara | This Girl Loves

S1m November 14, 2014 - 4:20 pm

Check back in the New Year, there will be more tips from Kang on a New Year regime! 🙂

Karen of MrsLookingGood November 14, 2014 - 2:46 pm

I used to run a lot and have been joining races too. I’ve been lucky not to encounter any injuries yet *knock on wood*.

I’ve been MIA and on and off since having my son but would love to return to it consistently again soon.

Kudos to Kang for following his dreams. Here’s to more clients for him!

Otilia November 14, 2014 - 8:15 pm

oh my going to read part two…i am really not good at it!

Manu Kalia November 15, 2014 - 5:11 pm

Great advice! running has been my long time bestfriends. Running can make you happy.

Tori@NLF December 30, 2014 - 1:15 am

Nice read. I do love to run and it is something I can never do without. What you have accomplished is quite great. Keep up the good work.