Home Valentine's Day Singleton’s Survival Guide To Valentine’s Day!

Singleton’s Survival Guide To Valentine’s Day!

Dating site experience

Even the hardest nut to crack will generally have a soft centre, yet with the Valentine’s Day fast approaching, Singleton hard nuts may find themselves cracking slightly under the pressure of the most romantic day of the year.

If you find yourself getting emotional over the abundance of the colour red; heart shaped cut-outs; flowers; cards; chocolates; gifts; teddy bears and other Valentine’s Day inspired paraphernalia and find it too much to bear… then here are some top tips from Genevieve one of the UK’s leading dating coaches and CEO of the Elect Club in London on how to survive the day.

Spice Box from Spice Kitchen

Spice Box from Spice Kitchen

Don’t go out on your own – it’s predictable that you will spot couples who are out for an evening of romance and it could become too overwhelming with all the ‘love’ related decorations etc. Valentine’s Day this year is on a Saturday, the weekend makes it harder, however have a pamper day – have the girls over for a wine night or even a duvet day with your favourite films! Certainly try to avoid going out for a meal!

Be kind to yourself – take a step back and time some time out for yourself. If you have been putting too much pressure on yourself to find love, you may actually come across as desperate – making the search even harder!

Remind yourself how wonderful you are – something so simple but if you feel confident in yourself, you will portray this confidence for others to see. Write a list of all your good points, it’s easy to forget how fabulous you are, so this is a great, fun way to remind yourself!

Find people that love you and speak to/meet them on the day – spend time with the people that really matter in your life on Valentine’s day… it isn’t just about romance but also about showing people how much you love them. If you have friends in a similar situation send them something to cheer them up – Album Cards are a great way to cheer people up with a card sent through the post also featuring a code to redeem an album you choose for the recipient.

Album Cards

A card from Album Cards

Nurture yourself – treat yourself to a manicure and pedicure, have a new haircut, treat yourself to a nice bottle of wine or even a present for your house such as this wooden spice box from Spice Kitchen.

Love Pillow Cases

If you are in a loving, giving mood, these super cute pillowcases from Love Pillow Cases are the perfect gift to give, or even gift to your eternal optimist self! With several designs to choose from, the Love Pillow Cases are priced at £16.99 direct from LovePillowCases.co.uk. Love Mugs are also available for that extra cute factor!

Lorane February 2, 2015 - 9:21 pm

It depends on how much you truly value yourself … seeing other couples together when you are single could mean nothing. I will be watching 50 Shades of Grey 🙂

S1m February 2, 2015 - 11:24 pm

I am glad that you are in a place where it doesn’t bother you Lorane! Though there maybe some single people who are newly out of a relationship, possibly a long term relationship, maybe even a marriage who may take comfort in some words of wisdom. Enjoy the film!

Fatemah Sajwani February 2, 2015 - 9:44 pm

Its actually fun to be single and what’s better then spending time with your family on V-Day <3

S1m February 2, 2015 - 11:24 pm

Exactly! There is no need to shy away – the post is a feel good post to give you ideas on what else you could be doing with your time! 🙂

Suzanne Rudge February 2, 2015 - 9:46 pm

These are some great tips for those who are spending Valentine’s Day alone, but you know you can always be with loved ones. There is more then one type of love to go around..

S1m February 2, 2015 - 11:25 pm

Exactly! Spending time with loved ones and those closest to you… especially best mates will certainly help pass the day!

Raymond Vasquez February 3, 2015 - 9:44 am

I could somehow relate. Although I am not really single. But I am in a long distance relationship so somehow I could relate to some of these things. Great tips. 😀

S1m February 3, 2015 - 12:29 pm

Aww Raymond! I didn’t realise! Sending you big hugs – you go out and rock the day and have fun! 🙂 x

Katrina Centeno February 3, 2015 - 10:31 am

Oh, I am okay being single. I do not usually go out on Valentine’s day. Restaurants are crowded. I plan to cook good food for the family and wish everybody love. 😀

S1m February 3, 2015 - 12:29 pm

Absolutely! Be with your family and eat lots of yummy food… the perfect way to celebrate the day! 🙂 x

Papaleng Pagulong February 3, 2015 - 11:44 am

Heart’s Day as we call it, is a great day for me and my wife. A light dinner in our fave restaurant will do. Also, a bunch of flowers and a box of chocolate will merit a smile from my wife. 🙂

S1m February 3, 2015 - 12:30 pm

Awww that is very cute indeed! I just don’t get why it’s such a big deal, we should show the people who we love, that we love them every day! Hope you enjoy Heart’s Day! 🙂 x

Ace Paragoyo February 3, 2015 - 12:52 pm

I think from the list on how you can survive the Valentines Day, the best for me is “remind yourself how wonderful you are”. I’m not single im into LDR lovelife and have been single before and experienced this so called survival in valentines day 🙂

S1m February 3, 2015 - 2:44 pm

It really can suck but definitely surrounding yourself with the love of your family and friends can bring a smile to your face! 🙂

Loudthinkin February 3, 2015 - 2:04 pm

Valentine’s day is such a marketing gimmick…if there is someone you love then the love should be celebrated everyday not just one day!

S1m February 3, 2015 - 2:43 pm

My sentiments exactly!! It is all very commercial 🙁

Fred February 3, 2015 - 2:16 pm

Valentines Day is an artificial holiday. Love should be celebrated everyday! Single people should not let themselves be negatively affected by this day.

S1m February 3, 2015 - 2:44 pm

Absolutely! Some people just need a helping hand though to see that it is actually just another day! 🙂

Channel Imperial February 3, 2015 - 4:49 pm

I actually don’t like Valentine’s Day because traffic gets very heavy, all restaurants are full, and flowers are way too expensive! ^_^ LOL! ^_^

S1m February 4, 2015 - 11:59 am

It is too commercial these days and spoils it for everyone… meh… celebrate a week later when everything is cheaper again! 😉

Aileen February 3, 2015 - 4:58 pm

I still remember how I spent Valentines Day when I was still single, and well it was fine 😀

I love my ‘single-hood’ days but I also love that I’m taken right now. I guess it all boils down to perspective;there’s always a good side to being single and being in a relationship.

S1m February 4, 2015 - 11:58 am

Indeed… everyone is completely different and albeit we are inundated with online content about what to buy for your other half and where to go, there aren’t really many posts that are aimed at Single people… hopefully this post will help someone… anyone… just one person!

Maria February 3, 2015 - 9:36 pm

This really made me start thinking about the people in my life who are single. I’ve been married for a couple of years and in a relationship. I like the advice you give single people. I also like that it made me think about how I might help some of my single friends feel special on that day. I know for one thing, going on a nice hike and exploring the outdoors is a way to take care of ourselves when we feel lonely.

I might consider how I could include something about single people in my blog. Thanks! Hope you’ll visit my blog and share your thoughts!

Cheers, Maria

S1m February 4, 2015 - 11:57 am

Thank you so much Maria, your comment is much appreciated! Exactly! People just assume that their friends are ok… yet they could be going home and doing a ‘Bridget Jones’ every night! A hike is a wonderful idea to round everyone up together! 🙂

Elana Khong February 4, 2015 - 4:10 am

You can always celebrate with your family or girlfriends. Love of family and friendship are awesome too.

S1m February 4, 2015 - 11:55 am

Yes, yes you can and that is exactly what the post states. The fact noone has to be on their own, no matter how they are feeling!

Kylie February 4, 2015 - 8:31 am

Valentine’s doesn’t really need to celebrate with other half.. Everyone you love is your valentines, your parents, your siblings, your friends… So, don’t really need to mind about being single or not during valentines day

S1m February 4, 2015 - 11:55 am

No… however just like Bridget Jones, there will be people who take the fact they are single harder than others!

Fernanda February 4, 2015 - 8:33 am

I don’t think it ever bothered me when I was single on a Valentine’s day. But I will be honest to say that I’m grateful to have meeting the love of my life.
I agree with you, the best way to celebrate it when single is do nourish yourself!

S1m February 4, 2015 - 11:53 am

Awww! Bless you! Hope you enjoy the day! Absolutely take charge and take time out for yourself, it will totally give you a new perception on everything!

lee rosales February 4, 2015 - 10:37 am

i think Vday makes every single people pitty themselves and even the person who is in a bad relationship. lets celebrate love everyday

S1m February 4, 2015 - 11:52 am

I am not sure every single person will pity themselves – but it could certainly make them overthink ‘what if’s’ and ‘what did I do wrong’ but yes, everyone should celebrate love everyday… if possible.

Tiffany Yong February 4, 2015 - 11:31 am

Don’t go out alone is definitely sound advice because I did that before and the feeling was horrible! Besides that, it will be good to spend it with your family members!

S1m February 4, 2015 - 11:51 am

It’s very good advice – surround yourself with loved ones and friends – time on your own gives you time to think!

Eliz Frank February 4, 2015 - 12:46 pm

I think people get so carried away by Valentine’s Day that they forget it’s just one day of the year. Love should be shown every day.

S1m February 4, 2015 - 5:57 pm

Absolutely!

Sunshine Kelly February 4, 2015 - 3:54 pm

Actually there is nothing wrong being single. Valentine’s Day shall not affect what we enjoy to do, even going out alone on that day is fine. As long as we are happy 😀

S1m February 4, 2015 - 5:54 pm

Indeed, but some people may need a helping hand, in which case I hope they can take comfort in the really good advice in the post!