Home #WeightLossWednesday Guest Post: Dieting And Exercise Tips – How To Be Healthy And Happy

Guest Post: Dieting And Exercise Tips – How To Be Healthy And Happy

Dieting advice from a personal trainer

The rather lovely Gail Newland/ Gayle Newland, a North West based personal trainer has written this inspiring fitness related guest post to keep motivation going past week 8. The are some great tips and it’s fantastic to have the advice of someone who has been there and done it… in style!

Sticking to a diet and exercise regime is far from easy, especially with so much temptation out there. I know better than anyone, having shed 5 stone, within a year and a half. I found a passion for exercise and became a gym fanatic. I’m now helping to motivate others, not to be skinny or with bulging muscles but to just be healthy and happy within their own skin, no matter what shape that is.

One of my top tips I like to share with people is: don’t set yourself up for failure.

A diet should be a long-term thing, unless you want to lose weight for a particular occasion. There’s nothing more frustrating to me than these quick-fix diets. You need to be realistic with your dieting, don’t just reduce your intake to purely vegetables and fruit or reduce your calories significantly.

Dieting advice from a personal trainer

You need to create a diet plan which works for you and fits into your lifestyle. It needs to be a diet you can see yourself sticking to long-term. Don’t be afraid to include some of your favourite treats such as chocolate and crisps. This is the main reason why people give up and then think dieting isn’t for them, because they throw themselves into the deep end and then expect to float. Instead start at the shallow end and make your way there.

A new craze right now and something that I follow is flexible dieting, which means you can eat whatever you want, yes, whatever you want as long as it’s within your daily macros, that’s your carbs, fats and protein. Set yourself a realistic measurement for all three, sites such as HealthyEater.com have a helpful macro calculator.

My second tip is: vary your exercise.

If you want to progress with your fitness and weight goals then you need to vary what exercises and exercise program you’re undertaking. If you continue with the same exercise routine, and keep all factors such as time and resistance the same, then you too will remain the same. Your body and muscle groups with get used to this form of exercise, they won’t be pushed to grow and develop, you won’t get any fitter, you’ll be stationary and remain at the same level.

It’s really simple to switch up your exercise regime for example a 15 minute run twice a week

• Increase the time to 20 minutes, 25 minutes etc
  • Run three times a week – then four until you’re comfortable
  • Run at a higher resistance if you’re on a treadmill, if you’re road or track running then simply run faster
  • Add ankle weights
  • Change your route

It’s easy to know when you need to switch up your routine; if you get comfortable. If you don’t feel the burn anymore, if you’re not aching afterwards, if you can keep going for longer; these are all tell-tale signs that it’s time to change things.

If I can offer any advice it’s that it is possible, so don’t give up!

For personal trainer enquiries contact Gail on twitter @itsgailnew

Mazino Oyolo Kigho February 27, 2015 - 7:14 pm

Most people may stick to a diet plan but exercise remains the bigger task.

S1m March 2, 2015 - 1:27 pm

Exercise, especially when you have children can be hard to fit in with your schedule but it is so important – even if it is in the form of housework.

Don Martins February 27, 2015 - 8:28 pm

I totally agree with you on the full diet plan. A person will definitely get tired of keeping away from food items they love and give up on their diet plan.

S1m March 2, 2015 - 1:26 pm

Absolutely, it needs to be changed a little and adapted to keep it fresh and keep you on your journey.

Maria Madrid February 28, 2015 - 12:49 pm

It’s a good idea to increase your run time both off and on a treadmill. I do that too but I get bored after some time, then stop. Only to start from the bottom again. 🙂

S1m March 2, 2015 - 1:26 pm

I’ve not actually had a run in the great outdoors yet – will be waiting until it is a little warmer but so far so good in the gym.

Elana Khong February 28, 2015 - 1:47 pm

Determined will bring results in the end. Learn to vary your healthy foods and exercise so you not get bored!

S1m March 2, 2015 - 1:25 pm

Determination will certainly keep you motivated to succeed on your weight loss journey – could not agree more!

Tiffany Yong February 28, 2015 - 6:03 pm

Remember that the exercises should make you feel happy instead of dreading! I enjoy yoga and zumba and shape and tone…
But I kinda dread kickboxing a little! So do know what you like!

S1m March 2, 2015 - 1:24 pm

Could not agree more – if you enjoy an exercise, you will put more energy into it. Not tried yoga… maybe when I have lost a few more pounds!

May De Jesus-Palacpac February 28, 2015 - 10:42 pm

That is so true. You have to go or a realistic diet and change up your fitness routine. It’s very challenging. It used to not be so hard for me because the physical activities were part of my job. Now, I really have to exert an effort.

S1m March 2, 2015 - 1:24 pm

Weight loss is certainly harder the older you get. Even though I am attempting to lose weight, I am probably the fittest I have ever been at the moment!

R U S S March 1, 2015 - 2:19 am

Varying workouts have always worked for me because I get bored easily if I stay long on one particular program. Eating right and regular exercise will always be the best ways to get rid of those extra pounds.

S1m March 2, 2015 - 1:23 pm

Definitely, I can get bored very easily if doing the same routine every day – do enjoy doing something different on my rest days!

Sunshine Kelly March 1, 2015 - 2:46 am

There is nothing more important than health and happiness in life. Regular exercise and vary our exercise are cool, so that we are not bored.

selly March 1, 2015 - 3:48 am

yeah, there is no quick diet like people think it will be. it takes a long time and a big effort and motivation also. make it as a habit and u can keep ur body shape

Raymond Vasquez March 1, 2015 - 11:03 am

I am getting myself a fitness program and tip number two is useful. This is great!

S1m March 1, 2015 - 3:06 pm

Good luck with your fitness program Raymond! Glad the post has helped somewhat! 🙂

Fred March 2, 2015 - 12:30 am

Depending on your age, it would be advisable to consult with your doctor about exercise and a nutritionist about your diet. It pays to do these things safely.

S1m March 2, 2015 - 1:19 pm

Your age and your weight too. If you are heavy set then starting out running may send your body and joints into shock. I had not run in years and sprained my knee in my first week running… now my body is more used to it and albeit I can have twinges, so far everything is hanging on in there!

Fernanda March 2, 2015 - 1:00 am

Thank you for these wonderful tips! I agree with you, I need to change my fitness routine often because otherwise I get so bored and I simply won’t do it…

S1m March 2, 2015 - 1:18 pm

Definitely, plus your body can easily get into a rut, sometimes you need to shake up a routine in order to get the best results.

phyliciamarie March 2, 2015 - 3:31 am

I think a better way to put your first tip is, to set realistic goals, having failure in sentence sounds negative. Anyway, varying the exercise is pretty good to keep your body surprised every now and then

S1m March 2, 2015 - 1:17 pm

Couldn’t agree more – written from someone else’s point of view but sometimes negativity such as using failure can actually spur you on.

Franc Ramon March 2, 2015 - 9:42 am

Have realistic goals so you can see your progress and measure it. It’s also important to have variety in workouts.

S1m March 2, 2015 - 1:16 pm

Absolutely! I find some workouts quite boring, even when listening to my favourite music. I do different workouts on my rest days just to spice it up a little!

eliz frank March 2, 2015 - 3:33 pm

These are very good tips for staying on point. At the end of the day, we have to make a lifestyle change to get into shape.

S1m March 2, 2015 - 4:07 pm

Absolutely! You need to make changes in your life if you want to lose weight. My fridge is definitely different these days!

Vanessa Ally March 2, 2015 - 5:08 pm

I like the tip of varying the types of exercises we are doing for better results.We should also take one step at a time and slowly and gradually increase the exercises time.

S1m March 2, 2015 - 5:31 pm

Absolutely! I have found that by taking it easy and getting to grips with running, I have been able to increase my speed slowly so that I am not tiring myself out and it’s comfortable. Varying exercises definitely helps too!

papaleng March 2, 2015 - 9:59 pm

very attainable goal, but I have to disagree with you about the diet plan.

S1m March 3, 2015 - 9:30 am

Definitely each to their own – what works for once person, does not work for another. Gail, the lady who kindly wrote the post for Sim’s Life lost 5 stone, have to hand it to her, she knows what she is talking about!

Kylie March 3, 2015 - 2:46 am

It’s a good tips on how to stay healthy.. When we’re healthy, automatically happiness will stay… I think it actually comes in pair..

S1m March 3, 2015 - 9:29 am

Absolutely – I know weight loss and my fitness levels increasing is making me happier 🙂

Karen March 3, 2015 - 5:13 am

I also believe that it is important to choose the diet plan that suits us or we can follow faithfully for a much successful outcome. Plus we should have the will power and self-discipline too

S1m March 3, 2015 - 9:27 am

We should have the will power and self discipline but even the hardest and strongest of us crack at certain things!

sana March 4, 2015 - 7:05 pm

Love your blog .. and amazing post …thanks for sharing 🙂

S1m March 4, 2015 - 7:18 pm

Thanks Sana – some great tips in the post, a huge thanks to Gail for writing it for Sim’s Life!

Mrs. AOK March 5, 2015 - 4:35 pm

Wonderful tips! I’m all about varying your workout. I think that’s what I like about Crossfit, well the Crossfit schedule my husband and I are on, we’re always changing it up. Rest days rotate too.
My husband and I have started boxing, which totally helps to break things up.
XOXO

S1m March 5, 2015 - 8:05 pm

Arrrrrgh!! I try and stay away from the Crossfit – it sends my legs loopy for a good few minutes when I get on it and then when I get off it.