Home #WeightLossWednesday Race For Life: Starting The Running Preparations

Race For Life: Starting The Running Preparations

Race For Life

My preparations for being fit enough to run the Manchester Race For Life in July are under way. Well, to the point that I am now pounding away on Week 4 of the Couch to 5K program and my lovely, pink Adidas Boost trainers are keeping me going!

It seems like such a long, steep journey, not helped by the fact I am totally confused by what the treadmill is telling me and everything I thought it was telling me, it actually isn’t. Total confusion, which, when you are very red in the face and have jelly like legs is not particularly fun!

I have been stocking up this week on running gear for when I venture outside… still too cold at the moment and I am still not brave enough to show off my lumps in bumps in lycra to the world… there are some things that my neighbours just do not wish to see!

Primark has totally surprised me with their fitness range in store – I was able to pick up a new running/gym top for Β£5 and some capri running pants for Β£9 this morning – absolute bargain! My purchases have actually motivated me even more and I am already wanting to try them on and put them through their paces!

Race For Life

Talking of paces… I have totally ballsed up… the treadmill at the gym has totally confused me. It mentions both KM and Miles and I have no idea what I am doing. I thought I had been running 3 miles, turns out I haven’t… I’ve only been running 3k… conversion around 1.8 miles. Clambering off the treadmill yesterday at the gym, all I wanted to do was cry… I need to pull another 1.3 miles out of the bag! Please tell me I am not the only one to ever get confused by treadmill data… I usually just throw a towel over everything and run/walk using the app. I need something that can tell me exactly what I am doing… aka that I am on target and I can actually do this.

Why am I doing all this again? Well, I am putting my knees and butt through all of this as Scottish Power wish to sponsor me to run Race For Life… how can I refuse?! I will be running for my Mum, who kick cancer’s butt and for my Gramps who unfortunately succumbed to pancreatic cancer – a true hero who had a cheeky grin on his face right till the end.

The race will mean so much to me than just running 5k and it is the perfect race for me to start with this year, hopefully the first of many, but one hurdle at a time!

Bethan March 17, 2015 - 7:47 pm

It’s so exciting you’re starting your running journey! I remember being in your position nearly two years ago (although I was too wussy to go to the gym and use a treadmill so ran around deserted streets in the dark!) – you will get there and you’ll amaze yourself more than you can know! My advice would be to ignore the treadmill data, just do what you need to do and forget about any of the silly stats πŸ™‚ Have fun, relax and enjoy the journey! x

S1m March 17, 2015 - 8:00 pm

Thank you so much Bethan!! πŸ™‚ I am the opposite! Too wussy to run outside but I need to do it to build me up for the race… trust me to choose one with hills in it! I am using it to know how far I have run… before I conk out but it appears I am still not far enough yet. Damn thing has min/km mile/km written all over it – argh!!!! These things are sent to test us I suppose – it’s about time I got out in the fresh air anyway, all the treadmills at the gym always seem to be broken and one even started smoking the other day… a tad worrying! Thank you so much, really appreciate your lovely message! πŸ™‚ xx

Lucy March 18, 2015 - 11:50 am

You’re doing brilliantly! If the treadmill data is a pain, just go by time, instead. Much easier to measure (you can just add on seconds/minutes) and really motivating, too πŸ™‚ x

S1m March 18, 2015 - 12:02 pm

I think that is the way to go Lucy – the Couch to 5k app has really helped me but maybe now it’s time to just run for as long as I can and see how I get on! πŸ™‚ Thank you for your support xx

Weight Loss Wednesday - Week 11 #WeightLossWednesday - Sim's Life March 18, 2015 - 1:03 pm

[…] I managed to pick up some bargain running gear yesterday too which I am impressed with – you can check it out in my latest running post. […]

Mrs. AOK March 22, 2015 - 1:00 pm

Congratulations on your racing endeavors! I love that you are running in your Mum’s honor- sending my love to her. Cancer sucks!
My heart goes out to your family that has been touched by it- stupid cancer.
I’m rooting you on, Mama!!
XOXO

S1m March 22, 2015 - 6:40 pm

Bastard cancer – indeed, I’ve definitely shocked my mum for sure with what I am doing but her determination and fighting spirit will keep me going – she is a formidable lady… I have no idea where I get it from! πŸ˜‰

Weight Loss Wednesday Linky - Week 12 #WeightLossWednesday - Sim's Life March 25, 2015 - 7:56 am

[…] lovely comments on my previous running post really did make me sit back and think about where I currently am in training and how much further I […]

Amber Ludwig April 7, 2015 - 12:46 am

What a great reason to run!! Cancer sucks so much and affects just too many πŸ™ I have faith you can do it!!! It will be fanastic and is getting the right gear helps go all out!!

S1m April 8, 2015 - 3:07 pm

Thank you so much Amber!! I am raring to go now, just need to take my training outside and then I can really go for it – it’s getting warmer here now as well so will be interesting to see how that affects pace etc… eek… getting closer now!

Deborah Caudill April 11, 2015 - 5:20 pm

I wish I could write about a favorite exercise program as requested by this giveaway, but I am recuperating from breaking my right leg in 7 places and a right hip replacement. I fell twice and each time had to have surgery.

S1m April 12, 2015 - 4:39 pm

Oh cor blimey, I hope you are recuperating well and resting up – you poor thing!