Home Dating Tips On How To Date A Single Mum

Tips On How To Date A Single Mum

Love Pillow Cases

Sometimes men require a helping hand in the dating stakes, especially when it comes to dating a single mum. They tend to forget that single mums are quite independent and want may outweigh need sometimes, so here are a few handy helper points for all the men out there…

• Do compliment a lady – sometimes a lady just needs to hear how awesome she is. She may not hear it often and it is nice to be reminded of that.
  • Do not be needy – ohhhhhh boys… there is a very fine line between being needy and being too nonchalant. You really do need to find that fine line and tow it very well!
  • Do make an effort – conversation is always much enjoyed, even something ridiculously mundane, but be careful how many times you use the word ‘Why?’!
  • Do not turn up empty handed – how very rude! Seriously, if you are expecting a home cooked meal on date night, then take note of episodes of ‘Come Dine With Me’, they do not turn up empty handed! A bottle of wine is most acceptable… just make sure it is a nice bottle!
  • Do respect her schedule – plans may change at last minute due to childcare, this is something that has to be taken into serious consideration. A single mum’s children are her world and her main priority. (Tip courtesy of The Brick Castle).
  • Do not sugar coat things or compliment too much – see what I mean about the very fine line? Complimenting too much can actually become quite annoying after a while and always be transparent. Single mums do not have the time to ponder what you could possibly mean… just be frank and say it!
  • Do make sure you leave something to remember you, when you aren’t thereΒ – like a snuggly, men’sΒ textured jumper from New Look – the perfect item to slip on in the cooler evenings to keep warm, there is just something about borrowing your bloke’s jumper… plus, it looks better on me! πŸ˜‰

Jenny @ the brick castle April 23, 2015 - 5:35 pm

Hahaha that actually looks really good on you and it fits really well! I’ll be brilliant to keep you warm walking the dog in the mornings! πŸ™‚

S1m April 23, 2015 - 5:37 pm

Ha, how early do you think I get up?! πŸ˜‰ Cheers love, not meant for boobs but still I carry it off! πŸ˜‰ x

Anne V April 24, 2015 - 1:59 pm

Love it! But shouldn’t this list apply to all women, not just single mums? Haha. I love “Do respect her schedule.”

S1m April 24, 2015 - 2:08 pm

To all women yes, but single mums are particularly fearsome! πŸ˜‰

Pal Raine April 24, 2015 - 2:02 pm

Agree to all of these! But these two are too special to me, “Do not be Needy” and “Do make an Effort”.

Guys, you should read this post, inculcate this in your mind, that a single mom like us is not a toy…we do exist and we want someone who is thoughtful and have that word of honor.

S1m April 24, 2015 - 2:06 pm

Absolutely we do! Not only that, a single mum is more likely to be even more protective of her unit – like a tigress on a really bad day. Until we are 100% we will be particularly wary!! Grrrrr!x

Jeremy@thirstydaddy April 24, 2015 - 6:21 pm

seems to me those are pretty good rules for how to treat any lady!

S1m April 26, 2015 - 12:56 pm

If only men would actually take the tips on board – I am sure life would be even easier for them! πŸ˜‰

Hanniz April 24, 2015 - 6:38 pm

Single mums have so many more challenges to face and sometimes lack the support of family. This list will surely be a good guide (and it’s applicable to single ladies too)

S1m April 26, 2015 - 12:52 pm

Absolutely Hanniz – factor in no local family for childcare and it’s pretty tough!

Summer April 25, 2015 - 12:32 am

I want a genuine compliment because I don’t believe it when there’s always a compliment. I believe females are more needy than guys. Yeah, it’s not very sensible to always say “Why?” Oh yes, I want to have a good schedule, I always end up with a fight with them when they become demanding.

S1m April 26, 2015 - 12:18 pm

You clearly haven’t met the men I have then! πŸ˜‰ They prove your needy theory wrong – I am not a needy lady, I want however I don’t need a man… makes me even more picky!

Mia Foo April 25, 2015 - 3:21 am

nice tips for the men out there. actually I feel that this works for most ladies now, not just single mums. but about not turning up empty handed… well, it will be nice to have gifts but I wouldn’t find him rude if he turns up without any either…

S1m April 26, 2015 - 12:17 pm

Each to their own but I am a great believer in, if someone has gone to the trouble of buying all the food and cooking it for you – you take something as a token gesture!

lovemindanao April 25, 2015 - 4:06 am

this is a nice set of tips. I wonder if I will be ever be dating a single mum in the future .. but who knows? we don’t know what lies ahead. thanks for this advice .

S1m April 26, 2015 - 12:15 pm

No, you are right there, we don’t! I am just hoping it helps some people! πŸ˜‰

Pooja kawatra April 25, 2015 - 10:16 am

I was relating them to my own routine. Actually they are applied to all mums and not just to single mums though single mums definitely have more responsibilities.

At times with kids at home you cant plan your outing or meet up if no one is there to look after them.

S1m April 26, 2015 - 12:15 pm

Absolutely! It’s not easy to plan when you have children, something always happens!

Suzanne Rudge April 25, 2015 - 3:39 pm

Great tips! These would work for any female really. πŸ™‚

S1m April 26, 2015 - 12:14 pm

Single mum’s are a formidable force – single men need to be aware of that!

Tiffany Yong April 25, 2015 - 6:28 pm

Your tips apply not only to single mum, but most ladies! Thanks for the tips to those who are looking, it’s applicable and useful!

S1m April 26, 2015 - 12:13 pm

Thanks Tiffany! I just hope that men actually take note! πŸ˜‰

Nicol Wong (@yuk_lui) April 25, 2015 - 10:18 pm

the second and third point is a must in general! i hate needy people

S1m April 26, 2015 - 12:12 pm

Ohhhh yes and a Needy man… the worst thing ever. In the first instance it can be seen as part of a sweet personality – give it a little longer and it is bloody annoying!

Papaleng Pagulong April 26, 2015 - 6:18 am

Love it specially the last tip. But it never crossed my mind to date a single mum.

S1m April 26, 2015 - 12:11 pm

When you get to a certain age, the majority of single women will have children – just one of those life things!

Raymond Vasquez April 26, 2015 - 12:12 pm

Hahaha great tips! Some were even true for single ladies. Not just for single moms!

3xhcch April 26, 2015 - 3:22 pm

That last tip totally floored me. Haha! I never would have thought ladies would expect that from a guy.

Katrina Centeno April 27, 2015 - 8:25 am

Cute sweater. Somebody gets plus points for good taste.

S1m April 27, 2015 - 5:08 pm

Cheers Katrina! πŸ˜‰ It is proper comfy and snuggly – just what is needed with this unpredictable weather πŸ™‚

Amie April 27, 2015 - 10:52 am

Oh my god totally agree with the needy part! I believe in independence in two individuals within a couple, it’s important to maintain a long term relationship that way.

S1m April 27, 2015 - 5:07 pm

Absolutely – you have your time and the things you do and vice versa! I could not imagine being in someone’s pocket for 24 hours a day or them in mine. Would drive me insane!

Franc Ramon April 27, 2015 - 12:32 pm

I think respecting a single mom’s schedule is important as she has more responsibilities. I agree on not being too needy too as she is a busy woman.

S1m April 27, 2015 - 5:04 pm

Busy and the fact she has learned to become more independent! She clearly already has a child/children… she doesn’t need a grown up child too! πŸ˜‰

eliz frank April 27, 2015 - 4:33 pm

Excellent tips that apply to every dating situation. I do hope men and women will take note and be clear about their expectations.

S1m April 27, 2015 - 5:04 pm

Tsk! I’d love to be around on the day they decide to finally be more transparent!!

Raquel April 28, 2015 - 12:54 pm

The great thing about this post is it can be applicable to all women, not just single moms. But if you do meet one in the future because of the dating sites, this can be very helpful.

Mrs. AOK April 28, 2015 - 5:03 pm

I agree with all of these ANNND I love the sweater πŸ™‚
XOXO

Crazed parent April 29, 2015 - 1:18 pm

Great tips
These tips look quite practical and can be used in real life as well.
I think everyone should make note of these tips whenever u wish to date a single mum