Home Recipe Travelling With Transun: Culinary Delights From Scandinavia

Travelling With Transun: Culinary Delights From Scandinavia

Transun

Cooking…

Something I really enjoy but I highly doubt I will ever appear on MasterChef at anytime soon! I do love to cook, mainly meals that I can make in my sleep, that I perfected over time.

Any meals that involve intricate detailing or more patience than I can garner are never going to turn out well – I seem to lose all concentration, shrug and then serve up and inedible mess.

That said, I do like to try new recipes and was lucky enough to rustle up a popular Scandinavian recipe recently, courtesy of Transun teaming up with fabulous chefs from Aveqia… I wish they could have sent me a chef to help me prepare and cook the meal too… would have been so much easier!

The recipe: A taste of Scandinavia: Langoustine with smoked potato puree and soured cream.

Transun

Absolutely up my street, I love Langoustine and seafood in general and the meal looks light and a good fit for my diet.

So… all the ingredients arrived, with King Prawns in place of Langoustine and erm… Parsnips instead of Parsley… yeah we will scoot over that, it confused me greatly at the time!

Transun

A lot of ingredients for one meal, that I have not actually prepared before. To say I was slightly intimidated was an understatement…but at least there was wine!

The recipe had 4 segments to it and it was quite easy to complete a segment at a time. The time was mainly spent in making sure everything was ready for each part of the preparation.

Transun

Making the champagne cream was quite fun, simply mixing double cream and white wine vinegar together – it was actually quite yummy and a great complement. Something I will definitely be making again in the summer for salads and BBQ’s.

Transun

Making the creamy potatoes

There was an awful lot of fennel involved, something I personally have never cooked with before and it was great to get stuck into a recipe that required my full attention… along with lots of head scratching.

Transun

The head scratching came about as my finished meal looked absolutely nothing like the original picture of the recipe, it couldn’t have looked any different to be honest – however, it was really, really tasty! I attempted to serve the meal with a little flair with regards to how it was arranged on the plate to make it look pretty. That’s right, I attempted to make a meal look pretty and I succeeded somewhat. It has definitely made me curious as to what other Scandinavian recipes I could rustle up and will be putting my culinary skills to use again soon…

Transun

susankmann May 11, 2015 - 9:43 pm

Looks and sounds delish. Have taken a note to make this. x

S1m May 12, 2015 - 12:59 pm

It was very yummy indeed and I loved the Panko coated King Prawns – will definitely be making again in the summer!

Mrs. AOK May 13, 2015 - 5:50 pm

I love cooking and trying new recipes! This sounds like fun and yummy too. πŸ™‚
XO

lovemindanao May 15, 2015 - 10:36 pm

i love to eat… but i have no patience to cook.. hahaha… it seems the spirit of the art of cooking did not reach me at all. but i am glad you enjoy cooking…

Jason Panuelos May 16, 2015 - 2:30 am

I’m forever a fan of trying international cuisines! The creamy potatoes look heavenly! πŸ˜€

Papaleng Pagulong May 16, 2015 - 7:40 am

My is the Chef in the house and I am the foodie taster. Seems good recipe to try here.

S1m May 18, 2015 - 1:03 pm

It would be lovely to have someone cook for me for a change – I am looking forward to when my daughter is older and can make me a meal for a change! πŸ˜‰

Elizabeth O. May 16, 2015 - 10:21 am

That looks delicious! You did a great job. Well done on the plating,too.

S1m May 18, 2015 - 1:03 pm

Thank you so much Elizabeth, not the easiest recipe to let me loose on but I got there in the end! πŸ™‚

Fernando Lachica May 16, 2015 - 2:26 pm

Cooking is an art wherein you have constant research, learning and actual cooking sessions. Moreover, culinary needs skills and talent.

S1m May 18, 2015 - 1:01 pm

Absolutely! Even I had to Google the meaning of ‘steep’ – I generally just use the phrase ‘bang everything together’!

Nina May 16, 2015 - 4:23 pm

I wish I could make food like that (or had the patience to try). Looks delicious!

S1m May 18, 2015 - 1:01 pm

You definitely need patience – it was quite a daunting recipe and did intimidate me slightly but once in the flow, it all came together!

Tiffany Yong May 16, 2015 - 6:04 pm

Scandinavia food doesn’t look like the food we get from Singapore… I’m not sure if it will taste good. But definitely something different!

S1m May 18, 2015 - 1:00 pm

The food you have over in Singapore is stunning, always makes me very hungry when I read your posts!

May De Jesus-Palacpac May 17, 2015 - 1:02 am

Oh wow, that looks really good. I like cooking, too, but I’m not sure I can handle a 4-segment recipe yet. πŸ™‚

S1m May 18, 2015 - 12:59 pm

It definitely confused me greatly but everything just seemed to work and come together – a lovely tasting dish!

R U S S May 17, 2015 - 1:46 am

Aww, that looks really delicious – I’m jealoussss. Cooking is something that I didn’t grow up enjoying BUT I do know that I need to learn how to cook somehow especially if I’m going to get married in the future. Lol. I’ve been saving a recipes from the net and I’m planning to take lessons too.

S1m May 18, 2015 - 12:58 pm

Cooking lessons would be ace! My mum is a good cook, but I never really spent time cooking when I was younger, so definitely self taught. I do love to cook, it’s very therapeutic!

Karen May 17, 2015 - 4:40 am

I also love cooking and watches Masterchef too, but I am impressed more when the kids does it.

S1m May 18, 2015 - 12:56 pm

I highly doubt my daughter could have attempted this recipe – even I only just about managed to make the recipe! πŸ˜‰

Shawnyce May 17, 2015 - 7:29 am

OMG I am so afraid of trying new foods! I couldn’t, but it looks great!

S1m May 18, 2015 - 12:53 pm

It’s definitely worth trying new recipes – I would never normally have attempted this but I am ever so glad that I did!

Don Martins May 17, 2015 - 8:48 am

I cook almost everytime especially now that I’m in school. But at times, it doesn’t turn out as wanted. It’s good you pulled through. Although I notice one is rather good or better at first attempt.

S1m May 18, 2015 - 12:51 pm

I would certainly be more prepared next time and consider the timings to get everything ready at the same time!

Pooja Kawatra May 17, 2015 - 11:13 am

Looks so delicious ! Surely a worth trying this recipe.

S1m May 18, 2015 - 12:50 pm

Definitely worth a try – this is something that I would certainly order when out at a restaurant but it’s always nice to try it at home too!

Nicol Wong (@yuk_lui) May 17, 2015 - 3:13 pm

it looks amazing! i want to try scandinavian cuisine. ive bookmarked that link now

S1m May 18, 2015 - 12:50 pm

Absolutely delicious recipe and definitely worth a try – I expect it would be slightly different with Langoustines however the panko covered King Prawns were lovely!

Ling Tan May 18, 2015 - 2:45 am

That’s one dish made with lots of love! Lovely plating and I am sure it tastes great too – lucky are the ones who got to eat it πŸ™‚

S1m May 18, 2015 - 12:47 pm

Thanks Ling – think there was sweat and tears thrown in there too – lots of things happening at once! πŸ™‚

Louise May 18, 2015 - 5:53 am

It’s so hard to copy the visual/plating of the ones in the cookbooks because it has gone through a lot of training, etc. But getting the right taste is what’s important and according to you, what you’ve done is tasty so I guess it’s enough to congratulate you for doing well in your cooking!

S1m May 18, 2015 - 12:47 pm

Thank you so much Louise! Absolutely, the colours were very different but the taste was amazing!

3xhcch May 18, 2015 - 11:36 am

I like seafood dishes very much, but I have not tasted scandinavian cooking before. This looks like it will taste so good!

S1m May 18, 2015 - 12:46 pm

It was definitely my first attempt at Scandinavian food – also love seafood, so it was nice to try something completely new!

Franc Ramon May 18, 2015 - 12:22 pm

It does look tasty. I’m sure a few more tries here, you’ll present this one like a great chef.

S1m May 18, 2015 - 12:44 pm

Thank you Franc, it was indeed very tasty – so many different flavours all in one meal. Will certainly be trying it again!

Sunshine Kelly May 18, 2015 - 5:23 pm

It looks like a gourmet dish. I am going to try out the champagne cream at home. The creamy potatoes is good to go with any dish.

S1m May 19, 2015 - 12:03 pm

The champagne cream is lovely – more of a sour cream. The perfect accompaniment dip with chips actually!

Kylie May 19, 2015 - 7:56 am

It looks very yummy! I wanna try to cook this out! The outcome is very impressive!

S1m May 19, 2015 - 12:19 pm

It was very yummy indeed – lots of different flavours on one plate. Definitely worth a try!