Home #WeightLossWednesday Training For A 5K Run With Suunto

Training For A 5K Run With Suunto

Suunto Ambit 3 Run Connector

With the Manchester Race For Life only 8 weeks away, I am ready in so far as I have my number for the event… annnnnd that’s about it! Training For A 5K Run is tough going!

I took a week off training last week to give my kidney and knee time to rest, which really does seem to have worked well as stepping back into the gym yesterday was much easier than expected. Mainly thanks to the new Mizuno trainers I treated myself to recently – an extra half size up seems to have done the trick and I no longer suffer with numb toes anymore.

Race For Life

I was a bit of an arse and increased my speed to 8.5kph as opposed to the usual 8.2kph… yet I am still only managing 3km. I really need to step it up to achieve my 5km and be totally happy about the race.

Boredom seems to be the problem in the gym, despite all the distractions (read that as hot men in the weights section!) and  6 television screens, I still find myself hitting a slump. Whether I need new music on my phone, I don’t know, but at this moment in time, I am willing to try anything!

All ready to run outside now, it is only the weather holding me back – sounds ridiculous I know but I can totally see myself slipping over and spraining something so would rather not risk it. Having managed to rope a friend into being a running partner with me, I have mapped out a lovely route for my first foray into running outside.

FlipBelt

Everything is in place and I have a very handy FlipBelt to carry my phone and keys with my whilst running. A rather funky purple colour, that sits comfortably on my hips – a great reassurance when it comes to running outside, as, where do you put everything?!

Suunto Ambit3 Run

The Suunto Ambit3 Run has been setup for weeks now and in the meantime has been acting as a rather stunning digital watch, waiting patiently for its first outing. Just looking at the weather forecast, I am hoping that it will be on Thursday!

Suunto Ambit 3 Run Connector

Setting up the Ambit3 Run was slightly daunting at first, especially with the crocodile clip looking USB connector – I didn’t want to scratch the Suunto in any way, so out came the rather easy to follow instructions and before I knew it I was setting it up!

Suunto Ambit 3 Instructions

I had set the time incorrectly, however by the time I had connected up with Suunto Movescount – their handy app for recording all your run data. I signed up to Movescount on my laptop, however since I set up the Ambit3 Run, a new, free, beta Movescount app has become available on the Google Play Store (42.81MB)

Suunto Movescount App

All data recorded from my runs and training will now be stored and easily accessed on my computer and my phone! Genius! The Ambit3 Run is a dedicated GPS Tracker for runners – it does not have any unnecessary modules that come with the more complex Suunto GPS Trackers. The company know what they are doing, reading up about them has been very interesting… Having started life developing a liquid filled compass… navigational products are at their heart and I love fact their Headquarters is still right next door to the factory. In 1999, Suunto was acquired by Amer Sports and as a company, now offer some very hi-tech, precision sports watches. I am still looking for the jet propulsion button on the Ambit 3, but have total faith, the GPS watch will keep me going!

Weight Loss Wednesday Linky - Week 20 #WeightLossWednesday - Sim's Life May 20, 2015 - 8:44 am

[…] Last week, I gave myself the week off to ‘right’ myself, it gave my knee a much needed and deserved rest and also appears to have healed my kidney and back pain… awesome! Going back to the gym after a week off though was very challenging. as legs feel like they do not wish to move and you feel all out of sync. Monday was made easy by the fact I was running in my new trainers, choosing a half size larger seems to have paid off and numb toes are a thing of the past. I am still struggling to beat the 3k mark though – I’m hoping that a run out in the great outdoors will see to this later in the week, when I finally venture outside in the continued quest to train for Race For Life! […]

Kath S {isitwineoclockyet} May 20, 2015 - 9:30 pm

Get out on the road hun its much easier to lose yourself in the music whilst running a certain course youve set yourself and get distracted by your thoughts than running on a treadmill. You can do it!! #weightlosswednesday 🙂

R U S S May 22, 2015 - 11:59 pm

With all the running gadgets released in the market ( e.g. sports watches, GPS watch ), I have been wanting to run again. Monitoring runs, calories burned are now a lot easier. I have just been slightly putting it off because it’s summer here in my country and the times that I can get out would usually be after work and it makes me feel like I’m going to get a heat stroke. Goodluck with your training & with your runs. Go go go 😀

Mia Foo May 23, 2015 - 1:46 am

that gadget sounds like a good tool for those who runs frequently. anyway if you’re feeling bored and demotivated at the gym, how about joining a few group-x classes?

Fernando Lachica May 23, 2015 - 9:34 am

Suunto Ambit3 really helps for runners like you. Their sport products are among the best in the market.

Tiffany Yong May 23, 2015 - 9:58 am

Running is running basics to me and I never thought there will be so many apparels to go with it. Not that I’m ever going to do any running… Not a fan of that..

Jason Panuelos May 23, 2015 - 10:19 am

Good luck in your 5k run! With gear from Suunto I’m sure it’ll be ten times better! 😀

Anne V May 23, 2015 - 1:03 pm

Reminds me of the run for PE class in my 1st year of college, I finished second for our 5k run for girls even when I was one of the shortest. Now I don’t think I can even survive a 3k run haha, gotta get back into shape. Let me know how the gear helps you, I’m clueless about them haha. 🙂

Elizabeth O. May 23, 2015 - 1:31 pm

That looks like a cool watch. Good luck on the 5k run.

Hannah May 23, 2015 - 4:15 pm

It sounds like everything is in place ready to go, good luck! Thanks for linking with #BloggingToJogging xx

Raquel May 23, 2015 - 4:28 pm

The flip belt seems so handy. For years, I’ve been having trouble keeping my keys and phone in check when running and this seems to eliminate that problem.

S1m May 24, 2015 - 12:35 pm

Oh yes, the FlipBelt is an awesome running accessory. So convenient and holds everything you need.

Louise May 24, 2015 - 3:55 am

I believe that these kind of gadgets help motivate runners because they are able to keep track of their progress and with that too, they know whether to improve their pace, etc. Good that you have one now! I’m sure you’ll be motivated more in your fitness program.

S1m May 24, 2015 - 12:34 pm

It’s the same with the FitBit, you are more aware of the effort you are putting in – realising you need to work more spurs you on.

3xhcch May 24, 2015 - 9:14 am

Another running related gadget. Hope it helps you with the race. Do take care about the running in the rain. People do get sick doing that.

S1m May 24, 2015 - 12:34 pm

Yeah running in the rain has never appealed to me for that reason and the fact I will no doubt fall over!

Ling Tan May 24, 2015 - 9:53 am

Alright I know it’s the WATCH you are reviewing but I’ll admit I’m more taken by that flipbelt! Nice colour you have there – I have been searching for an orange one 🙂

S1m May 24, 2015 - 12:33 pm

The FlipBelt colours are awesome – holds everything you need and is easily concealed along with being comfortable to wear! Hope you manage to find an Orange flipbelt!

papaleng May 24, 2015 - 11:04 am

With all the running gears and gadget ready, then it is up for you to run that 5K.

S1m May 24, 2015 - 12:31 pm

Absolutely – definitely up to my legs to keep moving all the way!

Pooja KaWatra May 24, 2015 - 11:44 am

This really looks very cool and trendy. Unlike earlier days when running was just an form of exercise and at times boring but now it is more fun with lots of gadgets around.

S1m May 24, 2015 - 12:31 pm

Absolutely! How did runners cope without today’s technology?! The Suunto Ambit3 Run is perfect for runners!

Loudthinkin May 24, 2015 - 12:46 pm

Number for the race, new trainers, flip belt and the Suunto Ambit 3! I think your are quite ready for the race! All your hardwork is going to pay off..best of luck 🙂

Karen of MrsLookingGOod May 24, 2015 - 6:10 pm

We are the same, the gym hardly motivates me. I’d rather run outside too. I haven’t tried using a fit belt. Does it move around or it has to be very tight around your waist?

Franc Ramon May 25, 2015 - 3:54 am

Running 5K outdoors feels like a blip compared to the gym. The Suunto Ambit 3 Run would have the GPS features that will track you outdoors.

Danessa Foo May 25, 2015 - 5:46 am

All the best for your 5K run! The Flip Belt will be your very best friend!!

Raymond Vasquez May 25, 2015 - 5:08 pm

Just don’t stop. Eyes on the goal! You’ll make it! 😀 Haha I am stuck at the digital gadget!:-) How much did it cost you?

S1m May 26, 2015 - 3:58 pm

Just don’t stop- sage advice Raymond! I am hoping to get there at some point for sure, have to keep the momentum up!

Nicol Wong (@yuk_lui) May 25, 2015 - 10:32 pm

i know what you mean about the gym. it does get tedious but i always switch up my routine and try something new in there

S1m May 26, 2015 - 3:57 pm

I noticed we have some new machines in the gym so will definitely be giving them a go!

Kylie May 26, 2015 - 4:53 am

I really love your pink shoes.. Time to run more!~ Hurray!

S1m May 26, 2015 - 3:57 pm

Thank you – they are very funky and seriously comfy – just half a size more and that’s all I needed 😉

Mummy Melton May 27, 2015 - 3:26 pm

I love your shoes!! I love my Garmin when I’m out running, be interested to see how you get on with the Sunnto xx

S1m June 1, 2015 - 11:45 am

Thank you so much chick!! The trainers are really comfy – just shows a half size up really does help!

Jerry Marquardt July 15, 2015 - 9:31 am

The setting up of the Ambit3 Run looks pretty easy so I am going to try this out. Thanks for the great review, and it makes it so much easier to make the decision.

S1m July 15, 2015 - 11:06 am

You will not regret investing in any Suunto product! They are amazing! I love how Movescount connects with Strava – so if you love sifting through data and statistics you will be in your element! It is really comfy to wear too, you can almost forget that it is there!