Mini Me and I baked last weekend… we should have made Gluten and Grain Free Hot Cross Buns… we actually made Gluten and Grain Free Rock Cakes.
Gluten And Grain Free Hot Cross Buns Recipe
I blame the fact we didn’t have any ground almonds, which aren’t my favourite thing, so a food item I do not tend to have in my cupboards. The almonds were substituted for flour and before we knew it, our Rock Cakes were rising in the oven, cooking nicely. Made even nicer by the fact we used Sweet Freedom Dark Natural Sweetener as opposed to sugar! All the children enjoyed the cakes so much… there was not even a crumb left for me!
So, if you are actually more prepared than myself and actually like almonds, here is the Gluten Free Grain Free Hot Cross Bun recipe…
Gluten And Grain Free Hot Cross Buns Recipe Ingredients
300g ground almonds
Pinch of salt
1/2 teaspoon of Bicarbonate of Soda
60ml of nut oil or light flavoured olive oil
2 tablespoons Sweet Freedom Dark Natural Sweetener
Zest from 1 orange
1/2 teaspoon of vanilla bean paste/ 1 vanilla pod
Pinch of cinnamon
80g of dried cherries or cranberries
50g of dark chocolate
For the iced crosses, use Sweet Freedom Choc Shot
- Preheat oven to 160 degrees Celsius.
- Mix all the ingredients together and spoon out small portions onto a baking tray (mixture makes approximately 14 hot cross buns).
- Bake the Hot Cross Buns for 20-30 minutes or until golden.
- Remove and allow to cool on a baking rack.
- Drizzle the Sweet Freedom Choc Shot sauce to make crosses on top of the buns.
Such a quick and easy recipe to make, whilst having fun baking this Easter.