Home #WeightLossWednesday Fitness: What To Expect From Your First Boxing Class

Fitness: What To Expect From Your First Boxing Class

boxing

What a fantastic week it has been and by last weekend, when the sun was shining, I truly felt like Rocky at the top of the Museum of Art steps in Philadelphia!

The diet was going well and I was in the full swing of experiencing ketosis on the TFR diet and was feeling totally on it and motivated to carry on. The fitness side was even better than usual as my gym buddy and I have started super sets to be more specific and target certain areas and I had a boxing class on a gym day too.

I had visions of myself falling on my face, looking like a goon, anything embarrassing that was going to ensure I never returned… it was nothing like that at all!

What Should You Expect From Your First Boxing Class…

Myself and another lovely lady after our warm up were partnered up and together with Scott our coach,Β  we looked into perfecting the boxing stance, footwork required to move easily and how to punch and defend. It was really quite interesting and I have to admit to having had a sweat on within the first five minutes, it is more hardcore than you could ever imagine… and the concentration that is required is crazy! I’m sure over time it will all become second nature!

What To Expect From Your First Boxing Class

Next came bag work where we punched bags of all different shapes and sizes using the technique we had been working on, this was harder than expected and you have to have serious coordination!

After a little rest, we moved onto sets of the dreaded burpees… I bloody hate them, however a necessary evil! We alternated between that and hitting a bag with a metal baseball bat. I always thought simply punching a bag would be satisfying, ohhhhhh no! There is nothing more satisfying than swinging a bat into a punchbag… believe me!

We finished with pushing a prowler that you normally see rugby player pushing and sprints before a stretch out. Did I enjoy it? Absolutely! Will I go back? Most definitely… however, with my own boxing gloves. Having to use gloves that have been used many, many times before was one of the most unpleasant experiences of my life thus far.

Fortunately, a nice pair of adidas gloves will be arriving tomorrow (thanks Kev!) and hand wrap has been acquired this morning.

The atmosphere was fantastic, it was a little grubby, but you have to expect that from a boxing centre. If everything was pristine you would wonder why! The staff and everyone who was there partaking in a class were super lovely and it was an even better atmosphere than the gym! No-one cares whether you are overweight or not, no-one cares what your fitness levels are, you truly are all equals and are encouraged to keep going, even when you don’t feel you can. At the end, the feeling that you have done it is amazing. An hour long boxing class is really going to spur you on and I would encourage people to give it a go, just be prepared to sweat buckets! I hope this What To Expect From Your First Boxing Class post helped to reassure those looking to give it a try!

Have you tried any classes and enjoyed them more than a gym session? If you are looking to get your mitts on a pair of the adidas Hybrid 100 boxing gloves, check out the latest offers on Amazon!

boxing

Pin Me!

HodgePodgeDays July 14, 2017 - 11:58 am

I can totally see you boxing, this is your sport, I can feel it.Sounds excellent for both anger management and fitness!

S1m July 14, 2017 - 12:59 pm

Ha ha ha… yeah, you are probably right! I have wanted to try boxing for so long and I am so glad I just went again and arranged it! I am just super excited for the journey! Hope you are all well!x

Jenny @ thebrickcastle July 14, 2017 - 4:56 pm

I went to a class once – it sounds nothing like yours. It was intimidating and there were about 40 people there all dressed in Lycra! It wasn’t what I expected or wanted at all. This sounds much more ‘new-user-friendly’ πŸ™‚

S1m July 17, 2017 - 2:28 pm

It was absolutely awesome and the vibe was fab, not as scary as I expected it to be and everyone was very encouraging and supportive!

Beth July 17, 2017 - 9:40 pm

Oh, it sounds fantastic. I really wish I could do something like that.. Maybe sometime soon.

I can imagine perfectly how much you enjoyed hitting the punch bag with a bat! πŸ™‚

S1m July 17, 2017 - 10:31 pm

It truly is! One day darl and I would suggest you give it a try!xx

Stephanie Robinson July 25, 2017 - 10:42 pm

Also a detester of burpees here – but a thumbs up for boxing classes for me too! Thanks for sharing with #PoCoLo

Ritu Bhathal August 5, 2017 - 8:39 am

There are days I’d love to try boxing… to help ease frustrations… but then I worry about hurting my hands!!!

S1m August 7, 2017 - 7:33 pm

The way in which to not hurt your hands is to use wrapping and wear the correct gloves. You don’t have to go into it like you are fighting Tyson, use the power you are comfortable with! It is fantastic for easing frustrations!

Emmalene August 5, 2017 - 10:42 am

That sounds like so much fun – if hard work! Love those black and pink boxing gloves πŸ˜€

S1m August 7, 2017 - 7:32 pm

It is hard work… a workout like no other, but it is totally worth it! The sense of achievement is awesome!x

Oriana August 5, 2017 - 2:08 pm

Boxing is awesome ! I took classes with my university, the sensations were great And the cardio was clearly intense I feel you haha !

S1m August 7, 2017 - 7:27 pm

It is super intense and it’s a feeling that a gym workout will not give you – it seriously is awesome!x

Lisa Orchard August 5, 2017 - 2:34 pm

Oh my gosh! Boxing what a great way to get in shape. I hadn’t even thought of that. I’ve been running, but I think it’s time to try something new. I want to get back into the shape I was in before I had kids. πŸ™‚

S1m August 7, 2017 - 7:25 pm

I was into running, but have stepped it up a little recently with weight training and now boxing. I’ve wanted to do boxing for ages and it was the right time! It is so much fun and targets pretty much every area… you walk out of there with muscles aching that you never knew you had! πŸ™‚

Mandi March 23, 2018 - 9:18 am

Wow! Go you! That sounds like great fun. No, I have never done anything quite like this before – but it actually sounds appealing.

S1m March 23, 2018 - 12:10 pm

It is so much more than you would expect and it is a great all-rounder sport πŸ™‚ Sim’s Life

Helen March 23, 2018 - 1:55 pm

Amazing! I think Boxing would be a form of exercise I could really get into – a form of release πŸ™‚

Talya March 23, 2018 - 7:27 pm

I’ve never tried a boxing class but have to admit I would LOVE to. I tend to be more of a YouTube HIIT girl but never say never…

Cardiff Mummy Says - Cathryn March 23, 2018 - 9:44 pm

I’m exhausted just reading that! My brother is into boxing and martial arts etc and absolutely loves it. I’m more yoga and running. Good on you for giving it a go!

Amy - All about a Mummy March 24, 2018 - 4:43 pm

I’ve not tried boxing but it sounds like a great way to get fit. And do much fun!

Jenni March 24, 2018 - 5:45 pm

I’ve always fancied boxing. I used to go to bodycombat classes, and the boxing part of it was my favourite bit.

Jordanne | Thelifeofaglasgowgirl March 25, 2018 - 9:11 pm

I’ve always wanted to take up something like this but it is a worry when I don’t know what to expect so this has been so helpful.

Siobhan | The Baby Boat Diaries March 26, 2018 - 5:09 pm

I did boxing fitness classes a few years ago! About 4 months after the birth of my daughter and it was great fun! I really miss it! I may have to find a new class! x

Anosa March 27, 2018 - 6:44 pm

I had a gym member which I only used for the classes and never the gym itself as I love choreographed classes like boxercise.

Geeky Daddy February 7, 2019 - 9:04 pm

Glad you loved the boxing class! I do Krav Maga and kick boxing as well! So much more fun than just jogging or rowing. Punching people is a great de-stresser as well!