Home Lifestyle Why Magor Services Need More Parking Notices

Why Magor Services Need More Parking Notices

Parking signs at Magor services

There are times, especially as a blogger, when you can find yourself staring at a blank screen completely devoid of any inspiration hoping that something jumps out of you. In my case this morning it literally did when a letter in a brown envelope landed on my doorstep!

The letter was a parking charge relating to our recent trip to Wales and Hereford, when our car was kept overnight on the Magor services car park. Parking was free at the hotel we stayed at and our registration plate had to be noted when we signed in at the hotel, so I knew it wasn’t a big deal and could be easily cancelled.

This required sending a quick email over to the parking eye people with my hotel confirmation. Kudos to them as within 30 minutes I received an email stating they had ‘investigated’ my claim and was indeed in the right and all charges were cancelled. My little bit of excitement for the day but it got me thinking about the amount of people who are unaware they can get charged for staying too long in a services car park.

Parking signs at Magor services

Having checked the services website, it clearly states that parking is free for a maximum of two hours and is then charged at £12 for cars after that, coaches and HGV’s are slightly more expensive at £25 and confirms enforcement is via CP Plus… however, how many people actually check the website of a motorway services before they rock up there? I think I recall there being signs dotted around about parking measures, but did not take much notice as I didn’t feel the need to.

I can understand the need for this measure, but what a complete waste of my time, their time and paper! When people are driving, their attention shouldn’t be focused on tiny writing featured on a tiny sign, it should be on the road and remaining safe! Maybe the management company need to check out an online store for road safety signs and add more parking charge notices to ensure people are fully aware and don’t have the nightmare of receiving a parking charge.

A funny fact about the Magor services is that is was rated as the worst in Britain in 2007, a decade has passed and I’m not entirely sure they have worked on that accolade! I would stay there again, however would make sure the hotel actually registered my car’s right to be there next time!

Beth August 23, 2017 - 9:40 pm

Oooh, left hand doesn’t know what the right hand is doing! Definitely think they need more signage there!

S1m August 27, 2017 - 7:28 pm

Well, it certainly didn’t when I spotted that car going around the roundabout in the wrong direction – all hail the Tesco lorry that blocked it! Very lucky indeed, will make sure they include my details next time to ensure this doesn’t happen again!x

Lins @ Boo & Maddie August 25, 2017 - 11:14 am

Gosh, thank goodness it was all easily resolved!! But I totally agree, we seem to focus far too much in this country on penalising people for the very trivial, inconsequential things and not the most important! Have a great weekend X #PoCoLo

S1m August 27, 2017 - 7:24 pm

Yessssss! Exactly this! It all seemed so ridiculous, but fortunately was easily rectified – kudos to them for getting back to me so quickly, I was expecting a delay of sorts!xx

Kim Carberry August 25, 2017 - 7:40 pm

I’m so pleased this was easily resolved. When it comes to things like this I am so glad that neither my fella or drive. hehehe #PoCoLo

S1m August 27, 2017 - 7:16 pm

Thanks lovely, me too! What an absolute ball-ache, especially considering I had registered my car with the hotel anyway! Definitely something you do not have to worry about!xx

Elizabeth Cole August 26, 2017 - 12:01 am

I hate services where there is no parking – Bridgewater is just as bad.

#pocolo

S1m August 27, 2017 - 7:13 pm

Tell me about it! There is parking but it’s only free for two hours – just glad it was all easily resolved!x

chickenruby August 27, 2017 - 9:35 pm

I understand why they do this as many people leave their vehicles at services then car share into nearby cities for work or go off on holiday, but when you’re staying at the ‘hotel’ there should be a way for the chain to register your car and save this hassle #pocolo

S1m August 27, 2017 - 9:51 pm

I didn’t even consider that people would car share, a good point! I did have to register the car reg plate so am assuming this info wasn’t given to the relevant people at the time. Bloody joke though and expect I’m not the only one to receive a notice like that – at least it was resolved quickly :)x

Stephanie Robinson September 5, 2017 - 9:48 pm

I never knew there was a time limit – although to be fair if we do use them it’s often for the shortest amount of time possible. And yes bureaucracy gone mad… Thanks for sharing with #PoCoLo

S1m September 6, 2017 - 11:30 am

Nor did I! I know now and will make sure my details are sent through from the hotel next time – you live and learn!x