Home Health 4 Reasons Why Your Diet May Fail

4 Reasons Why Your Diet May Fail

why your diet may fail

With so many diets available and the internet being a fantastic resource with tips and recipes, the world of weight loss can seem quite daunting. It is very easy to simply dive straight into a diet, however you may find that it does not work out as you had hoped. Success stories are in abundance online and they are great to spur you on, but remember that everyone is different and has a different starting point!

Here are 4 Reasons Why Your Diet May Fail

why your diet may fail

You chose the wrong diet.

With diets ranging from the Keto lifestyle which allows you to eat copious amounts of bacon but is seriously low carb; to a TFR (Total Food Replacement) diet that requires you to stick to a strict regime of shakes and specialist meals only, you need to choose a diet that is right for you and fits into your lifestyle. Prepare to spend weeks researching and making meal plans before you start. Yo-Yo dieting is not great for you, so it’s important to find something that works for you. The first week of a diet is always a novelty until you are comfortable with it, so keep working through any urges to detour from your diet journey!

Personal factors.

Going through a personal crisis takes its toll on your body as-well as your mind. A stressful experience such as a divorce, house move, starting a new job or illness may mean comfort food is needed to help you overcome the stresses felt. Clearly munching on a family sized bag of crisps is not the answer, but going out for a walk, listening to music, talking with friends all helps to keep your mind occupied and away from food temptation. Hiring a good divorce solicitor will also alleviate stress and allow you to concentrate on other things.

why your diet may fail

Social occasions.

Peer pressure is the worst when you are on a weight loss journey. People trying to persuade you to try something they have cooked that is not diet friendly or a family or friends speak meal out. It generally comes down to the fact people not on the diet you chose do not understand how it works. Simply take time to educate those around you on how your diet works, what you need to do on it and that you would appreciate their support.

The cost.

Diets can be expensive, especially TFR diets where you need to stick to specialist food items and it can be off putting. Try to remember that by sticking to the diet you will not be outlawing money on an occasional takeaway or naughty treat on a supermarket visit, so in the long run the initial outlay will eventually right itself. There are always options and supermarkets such as Aldi and Lidl have a fantastic range of fresh products and meat at a fraction of the price of other food stores.
When you feel like quitting… think about why you started!
This is a collaborative post, all words and opinions are my own.

Siobhan | The Baby Boat Diaries February 27, 2018 - 8:35 am

I think a lot of those reasons are why my attempts at dieting keep failing!… That and I REALLY love cake! x

S1m February 27, 2018 - 9:08 am

I love cake too – lemon cake is my kryptonite! We made marmalade cookies last night and it was easier than I thought. Once you are in the flow and seeing results, it spurs you on to keep going 🙂

Tracy February 27, 2018 - 9:06 am

Personal factors really affect my weight. I am most definitely a comfort eater and the healthier, gluten free alternatives certainly take a back seat when I feel stressed!

S1m February 27, 2018 - 9:15 am

I am a comfort eater too but have grown out of that habit over the years. I like the thinner me and I need to work at it as I don’t want to fall back to where I was ever again. Though put a plate of salt and pepper chicken wings in front of me and I would dive right in… finished with lemon cake. I don’t miss my go to foods, the incentives far outweigh a cheat food… you can do it, stay strong!

Laura Haley February 27, 2018 - 1:06 pm

My diets fail mostly due to motivation. I’ve had to stop buying ‘treat’ foods because I just can’t stop eating it.

S1m February 27, 2018 - 1:32 pm

Treats simply hop into a basket or trolley, they are very cheeky! Motivation is the key though, getting through the first week is the greatest hurdle but after that the losses spur you on 🙂 x

Kirsty February 27, 2018 - 4:06 pm

I always find personal factors are most like to get in the way. And lack of planning. I went vegan for January as a challenge and I know I completed it because I planned so much in advance.

S1m February 27, 2018 - 8:23 pm

You are braver than I am – I love my meat too much. Planning ahead definitely helps you keep on track and helps to save money too 🙂 x

Suzy McCullough February 27, 2018 - 9:38 pm

I couldn’t agree more. I am totally a comfort eater and I often justify eating various things, even when on a diet, simply to ‘cheer’ myself up. I am yet to find a diet that really agrees with me so to speak. I am certainly one for knowing what meal to cook next and what to buy in for the week.

Anosa February 28, 2018 - 7:52 am

I am not big on doing diets so often I fail so now I am just meal planning and eating what I love in moderation.

Jenni February 28, 2018 - 10:26 pm

For me, it’s always having to cater to a family alongside. Often I just don’t have the time or energy to cook two loads of things.

Stephanie March 1, 2018 - 9:02 pm

I don’t ever say I’m going to diet as I hate pressure. I just try and make changes slowly that don’t put any pressure on myself

Rhian Westbury March 2, 2018 - 3:25 pm

Diets I used to do used to fail as I felt I was missing out on all the things I enjoyed which is why I like slimming world as I can still have what I love but in a controlled way x

Helen March 3, 2018 - 6:05 pm

Social occasions are my problem – it’s sonhard sticking to a plan when everyone else is enjoying all the treats! It’s something I’m trying to achieve a better balance with 🙂