Home Lifestyle As Everything Breaks My Home Improvements Wish List Increases

As Everything Breaks My Home Improvements Wish List Increases

Home Improvements Wish List

I’ve woken this morning to realise I have now been living in my house for 11 years… some years weren’t particularly great, but certainly the last few years have been awesome, up until the last few months!

In spectacular form, everything is typically breaking on me!

Just before Christmas, my oven decided it didn’t like the temperature I turned it up to (my own fault really) and the heating element blew. So that was a fractious time, having to cook at friend’s houses, however it did mean living off a huge beef joint for several days which is a Keto follower’s dream!

Home improvements

This week though, I noticed my fridge freezer was making a rather bizarre noise, almost like heavy breathing… and then it stopped. Just like that, at 11pm on Wednesday evening, my trusty fridge freezer gave up, fully stocked. Fortunately I naturally had a spare fridge in the garage and a neighbour helped move it into my kitchen yesterday in true Chuckle Brothers style! Just as I saved my food the old fridge seems to have come back to life, it clearly needed a break!

So now, my plans are to try and jump on a problem before it exists and whilst I appreciate that my lounge is a comfy zone, it has become far too comfortable recently and for my big Spring clean, I would love to totally overhaul it. I have previously written about home improvements and transforming my living room and utilising space and this will be the first room I tackle!

A new couch is definitely on the agenda and I am hoping that a different style will reinvent the room and hopefully create more space. I do like the look of this leather sofa from Next, but knowing my dog loves to jump up for a cuddle and snooze, I may just hold out a little longer. Next on the agenda is tackling the lounge windows; I have a lovely bay window but have never made the most of it and need to change this.

Home improvements

I am quite liking the idea of window shutters. They look so elegant and appear to open up a room more, creating the idea of a spacious living area. A friend has shutters on her bay window and I am really impressed. It’s a great way to work with a space that for me is normally closed off by curtains, the living room shutters I have researched seem to offer a little more privacy too!

I do have some grand plans for my home, but before jumping ahead with extension plans, I think that reinventing my living room space with shutters and a new couch will be slightly less stressful!

Do you have any grand plans to redesign your home this year?

Jenni March 16, 2018 - 10:40 am

That leather sofa looks gorgeous! We have a leather armchair and it’s my absolute favourite place to sit in the house.

Alex March 16, 2018 - 6:15 pm

We have so many DIY projects on the list at the moment – the biggest one is replacing the flooring in our living room before the baby arrives in June – I’ve picked the flooring I like so now it’s just ordering it and paying! Our TV AND Washing machine are on the brink at the moment – dreading either of them going!

Mandi March 16, 2018 - 6:45 pm

I agree that window shutters look amazing. There seems to be a never ending list of projects in our home!

Cardiff Mummy Says - Cathryn March 16, 2018 - 11:01 pm

Oh it’s so typical when everything breaks and needs replacing at once. I so want wooden window shutters in our house. They look gorgeous x

Wendy March 17, 2018 - 8:33 am

I do like a leather sofa to look at but always find them too cold to sit on. It’s so frustrating when household appliances break, we were tumble dryer less for a little while and it was not a fun time. Good luck with reinventing your living room, I’m sure it will look lovely xx

Sophia March 17, 2018 - 10:34 am

I am a big fan of the more traditional looking window shutters. How gorgeous is the paint for those walls though! Definitely into the pale grey trend xo

Beth March 17, 2018 - 11:01 am

Oooh, your poor fridge! Perhaps you use it too much! Haha!

I love those window shutters too! It’s about time you got on to some of those overhauls… 🙂

Amy - All about a Mummy March 17, 2018 - 4:22 pm

We’ve also been looking into shutter but am shocked by the cost! We are going to curtains in our upstairs bay but will need to save for the downstairs bay!

Kaz | Ickle Pickles Life and Travels March 17, 2018 - 6:57 pm

Oh my home improvement list is endless! Just as I get one thing sorted, something else breaks down! Kaz

Claire Justine March 17, 2018 - 8:54 pm

This always keep breaking on me! I have so many plans. I keep trying to improve things and then things happen. I decorated the hallway and a week later the dog ripped it off! I sometimes wonder why I bother, ha!

Love the window shutters, they look great 🙂

Jenny March 18, 2018 - 5:45 am

I feel your pain! I just replaced the washing machine and the fridge went – though I think my appliances are all good now but still! A spring clean is always great to get rid of stuff you don’t use as well.

O L March 18, 2018 - 9:37 am

That always happens, things break at once. That can be so annoying.

Ger ( It's Me & Ethan) March 18, 2018 - 10:01 am

Love the sofa . We actually have to design a sensory room for our son. Don’t suppose you know much about that ? I love your ideas and to be honest I wouldn’t be the best at DIY but to keep costs down ,I’ve to try ,at least ,eh ?!

Rachel March 18, 2018 - 10:35 am

Oh no, what a nightmare everything is breaking on you – why does it all seem to happen at the same time – I hate that! Love the look of the shutters – makes you feel you’re abroad!

Rachael March 18, 2018 - 12:35 pm

Window shutters look so lovely and homely, don’t they? Especially if you have big windows. I bought a new L shaped sofa when we moved last Feb and it was the best thing I ever did, house wise. I love it. Even if our house bunnies have nibbles at the cushions !

Cal at Family Makes March 18, 2018 - 5:30 pm

I agree, a living room makeover would surely be less stressful than an extension, or the failure of kitchen appliances. I think things get to a certain age and all start giving out on you at around the same time, so I hope that’s it for your kitchen (unless you bought a washing machine at around the same time?!)

Kerry Norris March 18, 2018 - 6:57 pm

That sofa looks lovely. We live in a townhouse and would love to convert the bottom floor this year

Laura Dove March 18, 2018 - 9:27 pm

Oh we go through stages like this where everything in our home seems to break at once! Within the space of a week (over Christmas too!) our boiler broke, our oven, our kitchen window and our roof leaked!!

Siobhan | The Baby Boat Diaries March 18, 2018 - 9:46 pm

Ah I am full of grand plans for my home! We’ve been here for 3 years in June and most we have done to it is paint the downstairs rooms and the toddlers rooms! x

Katy Stevens March 19, 2018 - 10:44 am

My wishlist seems to get bigger by the day too! I’m absolutely loving the idea of window shutters when we buy our house!

Emily Leary March 19, 2018 - 3:19 pm

Isn’t it strange how things seem to break or fail all at once? I love the idea of shutters and they would look beautiful on a bay window. That Next leather sofa is lovely and at least it would be easy to wipe off any muddy paw prints! I’ve always got plans in my head to re-design or just re-position something or other – at the moment, like you, it’s a new sofa.

Jenn March 19, 2018 - 8:17 pm

I know the feeling! Everything seems to be falling apart all in one go at our house! Today’s disaster was the washing machine! I love the look of shutters too.

Mudpie Fridays March 19, 2018 - 8:52 pm

I would love a Victorian House and a lounge with such large bay windows. If we had one I would definitely be looking for window shutters. We are hoping to move soon and its on my wish list! Great taste x

Elizabeth March 20, 2018 - 7:27 am

The heating element blew in our oven recently too, and it only cost £13 to replace it. Me, I would have just bought a new oven, but my husband simply replaced the part and it works good as new!

Tips For Making Home Improvement Easier - Manchester Mummy March 29, 2018 - 12:49 pm

[…] am currently looking into buying a new sofa for our living room and have only just realised what an important purchase it will be. Not just for […]