Home Lifestyle Our Half Term Geocaching Adventures At Haigh Woodland Park

Our Half Term Geocaching Adventures At Haigh Woodland Park

Geocaching Adventures At Haigh Woodland Park

Well, Sim’s Life has been somewhat quiet this week due to our half term has been action packed, time spent with lovely friends… and lots of amazing walks! Fortunately the weather held out for our time in the great outdoors, but why does it always rain during the school holidays? Typical!

We found ourselves heading back to Haigh Woodland Park in Wigan to meet up with Jane – fabulous friend and fellow blogger from A Little Lyrical! I am fortunate that several local bloggers have become good friends and we can get out and about with our families… and goof around!

Meeting blogger friends at Haigh Hall

Knowing that we would be geocaching around Haigh Hall, I checked on my app the night before and realised that we were a day shy of our Geocaching one year anniversary, returning to exactly where it all started! How has it been a year already? We have had so many fantastic geocaching adventures in that time, but there was still one cache eluding us… our very first!

Back when we started, we spent quite some time searching for our very first cache at the sprawling country park, but to no avail. However we carried on and found other cache around the park, celebrating with a cake from a courtyard eaterie! This time though, we were on a mission… with the hope of more delicious treats to celebrate!

Did we finally locate the elusive first cache? Yes we did! Fortunately some very kind geocacher replaced the missing cache and we were finally able to tick this off our list, whilst searching for new cache to add to our records.

Geocaching at Haigh Hall Wigan

Haigh Hall and the surrounding parkland is fantastic for a day out, especially at half term. You can spend hours wandering around the park land, taking in the forest or even the canal. The children’s play park is really impressive, as you can imagine it is always busy, however there are plenty of benches for weary parents to sit and take five minutes! Ranging from adventure, climbing, swinging and spinning equipment, there are also fun interative games for children to play on too.

Haigh Hall Play park

The courtyard is a great place to grab something to eat and chill. With a substantial outdoor seated area, you will find something to suit all tastes food wise, but I totally recommend the pie shop (whilst in Wigan!), the homemade, hot sausages rolls priced at Β£1.20 are the perfect treat after a few hours adventure hunting! There is also a Holden’s Ice Cream shop to help you cool off when the sun is shining. If you are looking for a picnic spot… well, the park is your oyster! Simply find a grassland spot and enjoy!

Haigh Hall Wigan

The very picturesque Haigh Woodland Park always surprises me with how well maintained and clean it all is, it really is a lovely place for a family outing and we are already looking forward to returning! If you are interesting in Geocaching, yet do not know what you will need, check out this Travel Guide Blog post on Geocaching Essentials for some tips!

Have you been on any adventures over Half term – geocaching or not?

Patrick Weseman June 9, 2019 - 2:09 am

What a wonderful educational time. Very nice. #PoCoLo

S1m June 10, 2019 - 8:39 pm

Thank you – geocaching is awesome! Such a fantastic outdoor hobby that keeps you healthy too! πŸ™‚

Sarah June 11, 2019 - 10:41 pm

The Woodland Park looks amazing! So beautiful and peaceful, plus I LOVE canal boats! I’ve never been geocaching but it’s been on my to-do list with the kids for absolutely ages now. We must give it a try!

S1m June 12, 2019 - 12:56 pm

It really is gorgeous, also hard to believe it is in Wigan! πŸ˜‰ Definitely check it out, such a fun activity for all the family!x

Elizabeth June 12, 2019 - 7:47 am

I’ve been geocaching since 2008, and I absolutely love it! Such good fun πŸ™‚

S1m June 12, 2019 - 12:55 pm

It really is so addictive, it still amazes me that you can find cache anywhere!x

Claire Roach June 12, 2019 - 9:53 am

Never heard of geocaching before, thanks for the education, I will certainly be looking in to it in my area. Thanks

S1m June 12, 2019 - 12:55 pm

It is such a fantastic family outdoor activity! You will be surprised how many cache are around to find! πŸ™‚ x

Rhian Westbury June 12, 2019 - 2:12 pm

I don’t have kids so I never know when half term is. Geocaching sounds like so much, although I’ve never given it a go x

Yeah Lifestyle June 12, 2019 - 4:13 pm

I’ve not heard of Haigh Woodland Park before and as we enjoy days out and traveling, its nice to add a new place to my our list.

stephanie 139a June 12, 2019 - 10:36 pm

Glad you rewarded your treasure with something sweet – that’s a win for me! Thanks for sharing with #PoCoLo

Crystal (The Busy Mom Diary) June 13, 2019 - 2:32 am

This is such a fun and creative way to spend the day.

Jess Howliston June 13, 2019 - 10:17 am

This looks like such a beautiful place to explore and enjoy, especially in the summer! I have never tried geocaching but it sounds like something my kids would love so I will definitely give it a try with them this summer! Glad you managed to find that elusive cache!

Susan Mann June 13, 2019 - 4:26 pm

I have never done geocaching, but this looks brilliant and something I am sure my kids would love. Great photos and so many places to visit xx

Melanie williams June 13, 2019 - 6:35 pm

Looks like a fab thing to do with the family. always good to enjoy the outdoors xx

Kaz | Ickle Pickles Life and Travels June 13, 2019 - 8:40 pm

We have never tried geocaching – it looks so much fun! We had a great half term though, despite the rain! Kaz

Geocaching Jangie July 23, 2019 - 4:35 am

Congrats on avenging your DNF! This park sounds fantastic, a great place to visit twice for geocaching ;). I’m a huge geo-nerd, and a blogger myself. However, I’ve also teamed up with another geo-blogger, Geocacher Ken, to try to share more geocaching-related blogs with the public. We created a Facebook page – The Geocaching Guild – and I’ll be scheduling your post to publish on there Friday (7/26/19). Thanks for a fun read and hope the rest of your vaca goes well!