Lifestyle

A Year In The Life Of A Blogger

A year in the life of a blogger

As we start 2020 off with a bang, it’s always nice to reflect on the events of the past year. One of the advantages of writing blogs is the fact our memories are documented, making it fun to scroll back through and remind ourselves of what we got up to throughout the year. So what did we get up to in 2019?

Check out my Blogging Goals for 2020!

A Year In The Life Of A Blogger

Afternoon tea

January

My annual tradition of enjoying an Afternoon Tea birthday treat started back in 2018, after enjoying a wonderful lunch at the Dearden Tea rooms in Haslingden. After happening upon a local Italian Baker who makes the most amazing cakes, I placed an order for my 2019 birthday treat and was totally bowled over! How fabulous is the Afternoon Tea spread (pictured above)? Needless to say, I have another order placed for my birthday this year!

Chill Factore

February

Two days after we lost our beloved furry best friend Honey, Liv and I found ourselves learning how to ski on an intensive 8 hour lesson at the Chill Factore in Manchester. It was the best distraction for us at the time and something we had never considered before. Not being a fan of snow, it wasn’t High on my list of activities to learn… however we both left immensely tired, and totally loved our time on the slopes! I may have had a tendency to aim at whoever was in my way, but I got the hang of it and cannot wait to return!

whitehead reservoir Sunday Walk

March

As the weather started to improve, I realised how lovely it was to get away from staring at a screen and go on walks with a dog walking friend. Not only was it great gossip time but the walks were also great for inspiration when you found a blank screen staring back at you… the walks inspired my How To Combat Blogger Loneliness post featured later in the year.

Holiday in Costa Brava

April

Easter heralded the first of a few trips away in 2019 and it was much needed. Visiting the Costa Brava at Easter time wasn’t as hot as I would have liked it, but it was great to get away for a break and also spend time with my parents. Somewhere I have never been before, the gorgeous coastline and empty hidden gem beaches totally stood out.

view of Vesuvius from Sorrento

May

After last visiting Sorrento when I was 16 years old, I could not wait to return to Italy for a friend’s wedding back in May. It feels like a lifetime ago now and despite a year of plans, our 4 day break was sadly over in the blink of an eye, but the memories live on!

June 2019

June

Unfortunately, June was memorable for all the wring reasons as we found ourselves trundling up to the local hospital and returning home with Liv sporting a cast! I guess that as one way to get out of sports day at school! It was a tough 6 weeks, especially for a child who loves adventure and climbing. Fortunately the lovely people at Big Potato Games and Stib ensured we were kept entertained with fun family games and artwork supplies. Before we knew it, the cast would come off at the beginning of July and we could get on with enjoying our summer!

France July 2019

July

The school summer holidays were a very welcome break after the June nightmare! A trip over to France was just what we needed, especially as we experienced 40 degree heat the first few days… utter bliss! I’ve always been taken aback by the beauty of waterfalls, as you can tell from my early Instagram feed. This gorgeous waterfall, just through the Pyrenees on the Spanish border was simply breathtaking!

August 2019

August

My two week childfree break was mainly spent painting and decorating Liv’s bedroom. I have never heard of a plumber calling a month after work has been completed to check all is ok before, but I can confirm it actually happened on this occasion! I did manage to break free from the paint fumes though and enjoyed the best day out ever with my friend and fellow blogger Jane from A Little Lyrical.ย Jane won a Manchester United experience day for 2 at Hotel Football at the BlogOn conference earlier in the year. After eagerly awaiting the new season fixtures, it only seemed fair we attended for the first game… which was Manchester Utd vs Chelsea. I was the only Chelsea fan in a room filled with Utd fans, many of whom enjoyed the unlimited drink on the day… and erm, Gary Neville. Chelsea lost 4-0, it really could only happen to me! However, we enjoyed a sublime 3 course meal and some great conversations with our very random table set up.

It's Back To Work Time

September

Having to set my alarm again for 7.23am seemed like torture, the summer was over and life as we knew it was back to normal, with Liv embarking on her final year in primary school. This was the month she started indoor climbing lessons at a local-ish climbing centre in Manchester. Any chance she gets, she will climb anything so I knew she would enjoy the lessons and I quite enjoy chatting to the friends I have made too for the two hours we are there. NICS Level 1, here we come!

Pandora Event October 2019

October

I was so excited to attend a Pandora showcase event in Manchester with my blogger bestie Jenny from The Brick Castle. Stepping into The Ivy in Manchester was almost like going back in time to the Great Gastby era, the decor is stunning and was the perfect venue for the PandoraMe event. Hands down it has to be the best PR event I have ever attended – relaxed, everyone chatting away, the perfect venue, beautiful jewellery and an aura reader who stated I would be getting married soon! It was great my blogger bestie was there too as for once, I did not know any other bloggers there!

basketball training

November

Sliding into the Christmas countdown, we had a seriously busy month, especially as my parents came over to spend some time with us. One of my favourite events this month was trialling a Manchester Giants Birthday Party with Liv and getting to enjoy a game afterwards. Such a great idea for a child’s birthday party, I can highly recommend – something totally different to the norm and it was great to add some live sport into the mix.

Christmas food from Marks and Spencer

December

We had a lovely chilled December, it was just what we needed after November and it was even better to sit down and enjoy a yummy pre-Christmas feast with the Strictly Come Dancing final. M&S very kindly worked with us on featuring their AMAZING selection of Christmas food, they totally surpassed themselves with their range for Christmas 2019. It was great to have some time away from blogging and staring at a screen, the downtime was much appreciated… ready to start 2020 afresh!

We had an amazing 2019 and I am hoping we can make 2020 even better! Hope you all had a fantastic Christmas and New Year… here’s to the next decade!

Related posts

My Week Dog-Sitting A Toddler Springer Spaniel

S1m

Handy Tips On Coping With Chicken Pox

S1m

Is This The Greatest Head For The Hills Festival 2018 Line Up Yet?

S1m

Jenny @thebrickcastle January 3, 2020 at 3:26 pm

Awww that’s such a good round up of the year – I’d totally forgotten that amazing Afternoon Tea you had. Glad you’ve ordered yourself another!! You deserve to be spoilt ๐Ÿ™‚
I totally agree about that Pandora event. Such a great evening – and gorgeous jewellery ๐Ÿ™‚
Here’s to another year! ๐Ÿ™‚ x

S1m January 3, 2020 at 7:45 pm

I hadn’t forgotten, it was absolutely stunning! Monica at Pasticci is a fabulous baker, cannot wait to see what she suggests this time! The Pandora event was awesome, so glad we got to go down there and enjoy a night off and a pamper! Here’s to another awesome year chick… let’s start 2020 off in style! ๐Ÿ™‚ x

Jennie January 3, 2020 at 6:32 pm

What a fantastic year youโ€™ve had ๐Ÿ™‚ I too love how our blog posts reminds us of all the happenings. I canโ€™t believe you were at the Pandora event too and that we didnโ€™t meet. How did I not know you were going!!! Jennie xx

S1m January 3, 2020 at 7:42 pm

It was an awesome year, hoping 2020 will be even better for everyone! ๐Ÿ™‚ It’s so easy to forget that blogging is like creating an online diary, it brought back so many fabulous memories when scrolling back through our year. No way were you there too – that is awesome! We truly did not know anyone there for a change! That aura reader was epic, couldn’t have been further off the mark! ๐Ÿ˜‰ The Ivy was stunning though, what a venue for the event, it worked perfectly! Hopefully we will get to bump into each other soon!xx

Jane A Little Lyrical January 3, 2020 at 9:45 pm

Well well…what a great read. Glad youโ€™ve included our amazing hooter of a day at Hotel Football. What fantastic hospitality and a wonderful day! Hereโ€™s to another amazing year! Happy new year wonderful lady!

S1m January 8, 2020 at 12:17 pm

It was such a great day, thank you for taking me along with you! ๐Ÿ™‚ There certainly was a lot of hooting in that room, with it mostly coming from our table (not us!) ๐Ÿ˜‰ Happy New Year chick x

Antionette Blake January 8, 2020 at 12:18 am

What a great 2019, wishing you a wonderful 2020 #trafficjamweekend

S1m January 8, 2020 at 12:16 pm

Thank you so much Antionette! ๐Ÿ™‚ Here’s to 2020 indeed!x

Susan Mann January 8, 2020 at 4:00 pm

What an awesome and exciting year. That is fab and love the photos. Happy New Year lovely. x

Kimberly January 9, 2020 at 7:17 pm

Great post to sum up your 2019! Thank you for sharing this on Traffic Jam Weekend! It has been chosen as a fave feature for this week’s party going live on Thursday at 5:00 pm CST.

S1m January 9, 2020 at 7:25 pm

Aww that is super lovely of you! Thank you for featuring my post Kimberly! Looking forward to joining in again!x

Karen, the next best thing to mummy January 10, 2020 at 9:40 am

Wow! You have achieved a lot in the last year, happy new year to you #,PoCOLO@_,karendennis

S1m January 10, 2020 at 12:46 pm

Thank you so much Karen! Easy to forget everything over the year. grateful I do have the blog to remind me!xx

tracey bowden January 10, 2020 at 12:46 pm

You’ve had a fantastic year, I hope it continues into 2020 for you! #pocolo

Laurie January 10, 2020 at 1:17 pm

Looks like you had a great year! I love having my blog as a great tool to recap 2019. Happy New Year and best wishes for 2020!

S1m January 11, 2020 at 4:01 pm

Thank you and Happy New Year to you also! 2019 was awesome but hopefully 2020 will eclipse that! It’s all about making fabulous memories!x

chickenruby January 13, 2020 at 2:40 pm

I love a read through of people’s years, I did a reflection of my own this year, I amazed myself at how much I did. Looks like you had a balnced year with lots of lovely trips, shame about the broken arm though and sorry to hear about Honey. Thanks for joining in with #PoCoLo and hope to see you back later this week

Chรฉrylรจne January 15, 2020 at 10:06 pm

Seems like you had an amazing yet busy year! I hope you have a wonderful one too this year x

S1m January 15, 2020 at 10:09 pm

Such an awesome year, hoping we get to add a lot more experiences this year – also hoping for an awesome summer too so we can get out and about lots! ๐Ÿ™‚ Hope you have a fab year too!

Paulina January 16, 2020 at 5:50 am

I hope your 2020 will be as great as 2019! I have not been blogging for a year yet, but I cant wait to see what year of blogging will bring me.

S1m January 17, 2020 at 1:34 pm

I hope you are enjoying your first year of blogging! ๐Ÿ™‚ It is definitely a roller coaster ride ๐Ÿ™‚

Dani January 16, 2020 at 12:58 pm

What a year! Afternoon tea is the ultimate birthday treat & I do the same myself every year. Last Drop Village & Slatterys are my utter favourite afternoon teas – delicious.

S1m January 17, 2020 at 1:32 pm

The Last Drop and Slatterys??? That means you aren’t too far away from me then! ๐Ÿ™‚ The Last Drop is amazing in the summer, sitting out in the courtyard! ๐Ÿ™‚ Fingers crossed for a fab summer and the excuse to go back, may try the Afternoon Tea then too!x

Anonymous January 16, 2020 at 1:08 pm

Looks like you had an amazing 2019! I’m sure 2020 will be full of more exciting experiences. Happy New Year lovely

S1m January 17, 2020 at 1:36 pm

Happy New Year to you too! ๐Ÿ™‚ I certainly hope so!!! I hope everyone has a great 2020 – need to start this decade off in style!x

Stephanie 139a January 16, 2020 at 8:08 pm

I’m also a fan of looking back on the year – that blue in that photo – awesome! Have a fab 2020 and thanks for sharing with #PoCoLo

Rebecca Smith January 16, 2020 at 9:49 pm

What a great way to look back at your blogging year – it seems like you did some fab things and got to meet up with some lovely blogger friends – I love that we are so lucky to find friends through blogging!

Rhian westbury January 17, 2020 at 7:52 am

What a great sounding year you had, it’s amazing how much you can do. And that afternoon tea looks amazing x

Joanna January 17, 2020 at 10:57 am

It sounds like you had a great year, except for June, of course. I like your tradition of an afternoon tea birthday treat, it’s such a nice way to treat yourself. Traveling to Italy was one of my highlights of the past year, I am always happy to go back to the country I love most.

S1m January 17, 2020 at 1:26 pm

Yeah, I am trying to forget June! ๐Ÿ™
The trip to Italy was amazing – so glad you visited last year too and enjoyed! Such a beautiful country, so easy to fall in love with it!x

Sarah | Boo Roo and Tigger Too January 17, 2020 at 12:38 pm

So lovely to look back and reflect on the year that has just gone by. So many wonderful adventures and memories made – that afternoon tea… WOW!

S1m January 17, 2020 at 1:22 pm

It’s always love to scroll back through and remember everything – hoping to add more adventures this year… along with another Afternoon Tea! ๐Ÿ˜‰ x

Cassie Mayers January 17, 2020 at 7:50 pm

I know what you mean about having to get away from the screen and get out for a walk. Im hopefully doing that tomorrow and really looking forward to it.

S1m January 18, 2020 at 7:20 pm

I hope you enjoyed your walk and here’s to many more in 2020! It’s always so refreshing to get out there, have a mooch about and blow away the cobwebs! Always great for inspiration too! ๐Ÿ™‚

Elizabeth Williams January 17, 2020 at 10:27 pm

Sounds like you had a very busy year with lots of adventures and memorable moments. Think it’s lovely to write a blog post reflecting on what you’ve done over the past year.

S1m January 18, 2020 at 7:17 pm

It’s one of the nicest things about writing a blog, being able to look back – just like an online diary really. Hoping to add many more memories in 2020! ๐Ÿ™‚

Menna Rachel January 18, 2020 at 12:44 pm

This is such a lovely idea. It sounds like you had an eventful year!

S1m January 18, 2020 at 7:14 pm

Definitely eventful – hoping for another awesome year for 2020! ๐Ÿ™‚

Kara Guppy January 18, 2020 at 7:30 pm

Looks like you had an eventful year, your holiday to the Costa Brava looked fab

S1m January 20, 2020 at 9:18 am

It was a great year and the Costa Brava really did surprise me – will certainly be looking to return! ๐Ÿ™‚

Natasha Mairs January 19, 2020 at 7:32 pm

looks like you have had such a great 2019. Lot’s of great trips and events. Here’s to 2020 being even better

S1m January 20, 2020 at 9:15 am

Thanks Natasha! Always lovely to look back and be reminded what a fab year it was – here’s to 2020 being even better for everyone! ๐Ÿ™‚

Lyanna Soria January 23, 2020 at 5:03 pm

Sounds like you had a wonderful and productive year and hopefully for the years to come as well. Definitely made some wonderful memories and amazing friends.

S1m January 27, 2020 at 10:42 am

It was certainly packed with memories – hoping 2020 is a fabulous year for all!x

Tracy - Just Me Being Mrs B January 25, 2020 at 12:15 pm

Wow sounds like 2019 was a fantastic year for you – I hope 2020 brings just as many exciting times

S1m January 27, 2020 at 10:28 am

Awww thank you! It was certainly lovely to look back on it all – here’s to a fab 2020 for all!x