We all know we need to be more active, but did you know how dangerous sitting for too long can really be?
Long periods of sitting puts you at risk for higher blood pressure, heart disease, obesity, diabetes, and more. You’re even at more risk for dementia and some cancers.
Follow our tips as we break down where you can grab an opportunity to leave your chair.
The Real Dangers of Sitting Too Long and How To Beat It
In the office
You spend long hours sitting at your desk, which is kind of out of your control, right? But don’t worry! There are some great ways to combat the dangers of sitting for too long, even while you’re at work. Try some of these easy tips:
- Go for a walk on your coffee break
- Do some office exercises
- Round up your colleagues and join a class after work.
- What about a standing desk?
- Learn some easy stretches and set reminders to do them regularly throughout the day
- Make sure you have proper lumbar support for when you have to be at your desk
On the weekend
The weekend is all about letting off steam. Why would you want to spend all day on the sofa when there is so much fun to be had outside? There are lots of ways you can get more active, but if you’re looking for some absolutely free activities, check these out:
- Find your local park and play some frisbee.
- Take the dog for a run.
- Play a game of tag with the kids.
- Do some housework or even some DIY.
- Volunteer at a community event.
- Volunteer at a youth club, coaching the kids in your favourite sport.
- Go for a walk – you don’t even need a dog!
Invest in your health
If you have some money to spend (and you can’t do better than spending it on your health!), you have endless options for being more active. Here are just a few:
- Regular gym sessions: this is an excellent addition to your lifestyle. However, if you’re still sitting for long periods, a gym habit won’t help. Next time you go to the gym, ask your trainer what you can do throughout the day to beat the chair.
- Yoga classes: these are absolutely brilliant for stretching out that poor body. You can even apply some of the movements to your desk day.
- Invest in some home gym gear: whether it’s small pieces of kit you can keep on your desk or a treadmill, any of this sort of stuff is definitely going to help
- Get a swingball for your garden: fun for the whole family!
Pick a few of these, and you’ll be beating everything sitting in that chair too long could throw at you. After all, you won’t be in it long enough to hurt now.
Have fun, and get off that chair! Loved our advice? Check out our Awesome Hacks That Will Make Your Staycation Even Cheaper!
Sponsored by Wavertree Car Centre