Chimichurri chicken is a household favorite dish all round the globe and originates from Argentina. It is packed full of healthy ingredients with a fresh flavour that is perfect for summer evenings (or cold, dark winter nights when you’re craving some sunshine).
Rubbed in an earthy cumin spice blend, this succulent Chimichurri chicken recipe utilizes grilled chicken to create a healthy dish that’s delicious served with grilled veggies or baked potatoes.
This Chimichurri chicken recipe will make five servings, with plenty of leftover Chimichurri sauce to drizzle over your side dishes and even freeze for future meals. This recipe is packed with delicious flavors and textures of this dish that you cannot help but want seconds! You could also fry the chicken for a crispy Chimichurri chicken recipe that’s indulgent and delicious.
Chimichurri Chicken Recipe
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 25 minutes
Calories: 522 per serving
For the Chimichurri sauce:
- ¼ cup red onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- Pinch of salt (to taste)
- 1 ½ cups fresh parsley
- ½ cups fresh cilantro
- 3 tbsp fresh oregano
- ¼ tsp red pepper flakes (optional)
- ¾ cup olive oil
For the chicken:
- 5oz boneless and skinless chicken breasts
- 1 ¼ tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp olive oil
Chimichurri Chicken Method
- Create the Chimichurri sauce by placing the red onion, garlic, vinegar, lemon juice, and a pinch of salt in a food processor.
- Pulse the ingredients, scraping down the sides occasionally, until finely minced but not liquified.
- Add parsley, cilantro, oregano, and red pepper flakes to the food processor before pouring in the olive oil and pulsing a few more times.
- Transfer your chimichurri sauce to a bowl, then cover and chill until later.
- While your sauce is chilling, preheat your grill to 245’F.
- Whisk together the cumin, coriander, salt, and pepper in a small bowl.
- Pound the chicken breasts gently until they’re the same thickness throughout, then brush both sides of each breast lightly with a little olive oil.
- Rub the cumin mixture equally onto both sides of every piece of chicken.
- Place your chicken breasts onto a cast iron griddle pan (like this one from Uno Casa) and grill until the center of the chicken shows 165’ on an instant-read thermometer (approximately 4 minutes on each side).
- Transfer your cooked chicken to a plate and top generously with the chimichurri sauce.
This Chimichurri chicken recipe is so quick and easy to make even the kids can get involved with this dinner! To make it even better, try following some of the below tips:
- When preparing your fresh herbs, use all the leaves and some of the stem for a more thorough flavor.
- Be careful not to pulverize everything in the food processor: your chimichurri sauce should retain some texture from the fresh herbs; you don’t want a liquid sauce!
- This recipe will create more chimichurri sauce then you’re likely to use in one serving, but don’t worry, it can easily be frozen for your next dish!
This Chimichurri recipe is served with chicken, but vegans can also enjoy the fresh and delicious flavors of this family-favorite recipe. Simply marinate tofu or veggies in the chicken spices and pour over the Chimichurri sauce at the end. This delicious sauce can also be served with steak, fish, or veggies: making this the perfect dish for any dietary requirements or preferences!
Besides being a delicious recipe for a range of meats (or meat substitutes), you can also mix up the textures and flavors of this dish by frying or roasting the chicken instead of grilling it. These different cooking styles all work to intensify the flavors of the dish and create a delicious, fragrant, and always-pleasing dinner.
Serve your Chimichurri chicken (or other chimichurri dishes) with grilled veggies and baked or roasted potatoes. You could also try serving this dinner with fluffy white rice for a really light and enjoyable meal, perfect for hot summer evenings.
This is a super versatile dish that is packed full of flavour, with so many possible variations, you will easily delight your family or dinner guests!
Check out Sim’s Life Recipe for Keto Halloumi Fries